OffSite Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkVDBERK

Solid State Member
The company I work for doesn't have any offsite backup implemented. All of our backups are done on tape drives and stored in the server room.

Does anyone have any suggestions on offsite backup routines?
ie (physically taking a tape home, uploading to offsite server)

Thanks
Mark Vandenberk

here at work we use veritas to backup our company data daily, they are full backups. I swap out the tapes daily and give them to an appointed person for that day. They take the tapes home and keep them for two weeks. Then they bring them back in and I reuse the tapes.

I'm would assume that you're backing up a ton of data. Depending on your company's upload speed, you may be able to setup a vpn server offsite and d/l the data /w cable. But this would prolly take a long time, maybe incremental/differential backups???

How much info. are you backing up, what are you using to do it (NT Backup, BackupExec, Unix BackupExpress, etc), and just how vital is the information. all of these factors (and a couple of others) will really determine how you want to arrange your backup strategy. Post back and I will be more than happy to help, this is what I do for a living...... :)

In my company, I take the newly backed-up tapes home every day when I swap them out. I bring them back every morning and take the next set home.

I also make quarterly backups and save those at an offsite location for a year.

-Target

Traditional backup process like tapes can be replaced with online backups, the data would reside in a data center equipped with state of the art security features. Thus you can bring down your cost and access it whenever required.

I prefer this online backup service as this service is widely used by corporates and individuals.

hannah said:
Traditional backup process like tapes can be replaced with online backups, the data would reside in a data center equipped with state of the art security features. Thus you can bring down your cost and access it whenever required.

are you saying an offsite backup is cheaper than tape backups? I have to disagree. Tape backups have a cost for initial equiptment & setup, but after that you should only need to replace tapes and pay someone to administrate the system. Off site backups prolly has a smaller initial cost but in the long run your paying for a dedicated WAN link, costs of the offsite, and someone to administrate the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom