Offline File Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_booto

Baseband Member
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me out on a small issue that I am working on at my work place.
Here is the Scenario:
My work is a timber wholesaler with 1 main office and 6 branch offices.
Currently the Main office is on a Domain and the Branches are setup on Workgroups.
They each have a 512Kbs Internet pipe with a VPN to the Main office.

Now the issue is, these branches need to access the file server. however to map a network drive on each PC at the branches slows down the main Sales software for everyone at the branch. The internet connections are just like residentual connections and not business grade. Now with out having to upgrade and spend lots of money what would be the best way to have these computers have access to the Files from the file server offline.

One option i thought i could make work is to have 1 computer at every branch to sync with the file server over night and then share the files offline to the other computers in the branch. I am able to get the sync working with the built in Windows Offline Files software. but i don't know what to do next to share out the files. The Branch computer all run Windows XP and the file server is a Windows Server 2003.

any ideas?

do people in the main office need access to the most up to date copy?

If not, then you are on the right track, but i think you maybe trying to take things too far by adding offline files for workstations on the same lan.

The senario you are describing is a overnight offsite backup of each branch file server. Each branch office has a file server and they work that server just as any office would. I would install robocopy because it only copies files that have changed. Next, I would setup a scheduled task on the file server to run robocopy which syncs the branch office folder with the folder at the main office. Be sure to record the output for error checking.

Yes the Main office staff will need to access the up to date files.
I will have a look into robocopy and see if that solution would be best or not.
The Problem i have with this tho is the main folder structure i have to work with is:
\CompanyName
-Admin
-Accounts
-Sales
etc.
So the Branch offices at the moment juct access that one folder structure. So I will have see if i can re-arange it a little to suit this solution.

I suggest you to use this software, it's easy to sync your folder remotely. Try the demo version first, you will love it.

Imosoo Software File Sync
$40 per license
Robust file synchronization software for windows

Sync in the LAN environment first, and then bring the server to your branch.
Or you can copy the files to a flash drive, and then copy it to your branches' server locally for the initial set up. This will save you a lots of time if you only have 512k bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom