Office networking - CAT5e or CAT6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shone11

Beta member
Okay, so this isn't strictly home networking....

We're in the process of moving offices again, this time to our permanent residence. I'm going to be setting up the new network and buying a reel of cable for the purpose.

I have had a quick look online and have discovered a 'new' category of cable, namely CAT6. What I read tells me that this is 'the future' for networking.

My question is, for a network of up to 10 machines, with a 2MB broadband connection and no great network demands, is there any gain to be had by paying for the more expensive CAT6 cable, or are my instincts right that CAT5e cable will keep us happy for the next 5 years at least?
:confused: :) :D

Always try your best to future proof, cat6 is HIGHLY recomended for gigabit ethernet. I am sure, in 5 years, if not sooner, you will have a switch or router capable of those speeds, most newer desktops have gigabit on them, that and the gigabit will help if your transfering incredibly large files on the LAN.

I agree with Charles, however. What type of traffic do you have currently on your network? Anything that involves large amounts of data needing to be sent fast between computers on the same network?

One thing to keep in mind is that the cabling isn't only for network access, but comp to comp access.

Here's a good site for the differences between cat5e and cat6.
Compare the Cat5e vs Cat6 Cabling Standard

You may as well go for CAT 6. The price is usually not much higher than 5-E and you get a better product.

I would go wireless if at all possible. If not cat5e since its cheaper and will handle the demands of your network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom