Office network and backup system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonecast

Beta member
First of all, thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer to me.

My office currently has 4 PC's, all running Windows XP. Our internet is through Comcast, and all 4 PC's are wired individually to the supplied modem ( no wireless connections ) for internet access. We also have a Dell color laser printer, of which only one PC is currently connected to via cable.

We would like to do the following:

1) Have the ability for all 4 PC's to send files to the Dell printer.

2) Set up a fire/disaster proof storage/back-up system ( not online, I'm guessing some type of external hard drive system? ), that all 4 PC's can access, and be able to back up files, email, etc on a regular basis to.

I need to find out the following:

1) Is this workable?
2) What additional equipment would be required, and recommendations.
3) Are there security considerations to work around?

Although I'm fairly familiar with PC's, I haven't have the need to do networking before, but I'm sure I can manage with some guidance on this, and with the right equipment.

Any suggestion are appreciated.

1) Sounds like you already have that configuration, just share the printer on the computer it is connected to and make sure all 4 computers are on the same workgroup.
2)This one you have tons of options. One option is setup your network for sharing, which you may already have going. Do the computers have to share files? If not and you want one location to backup these files you will need to share all other computers and their files/folders that need backing up. At that point you can either use a tape drive system to backup the files, or just use DVD's and the backup utility that comes with XP (which can be schedules too). If you want some more options you could:
-setup a simple server from a clone computer. For about 300 dollars you could make a very simple computer that does nothing but share files and backs them up. You could put it on a RAID 3 or 5 configuration, then also make it to where it backs up files to tape and/or DVD then take that tape or DVD home every evening.
-online, i know you said you didn't want this, but it would make it to where you wouldn't have to worry about taking the media disks home.
-Check out ASCOMP backup software. I use it at my office and enjoy it. Relatively cheap and it allows you to schedule multiple backups, winzip the backups, and also burn it to media.

1)Very workable, you just need to configure your network for sharing files if you are needing the files on each computer backed up. The easier solution IMO would be to make one computer the 'file server' and every other computer has to access that computer to get the files needed. This way you only really need one computer to perform a backup, opposed to having all 4 computers backup to one location, then ahve that one location backup to a removable media drive.
2)Again depends on the route you want to go, the cheapest solution would be to use what you have now and just enable file sharing, then use the XP utility to backup the files to DVD or tape (you'll have to purchase this).
3)Definately, in any situation where you are sharing files and folders you run the risk of files being comprimised that weren't supposed to be deleted or seen by other users on the network. Since you are just hard wired, you don't have much of a security concern from an outside perspective, just have to ensure your employees know what they can and cannot do. Create a manual of the processes and procedures to follow. The only security problem is the deletion of needed files if everyone is sharing from a central location, but with the proper backup architecture and permissions this really shouldn't be an issue.

Lex makes a lot of excellent points.

The first question to ask is are you planning on growing the company and requiring more computer? If the answer is yes than ultimately you will want a file server.

The next question is how much do we have in our budget to spend on this project?

1) What printer do you have now? Does it have networking capabilities? Print sharing will work just fine as Lex has pointed out. The only small drawbacks are that the host computer must be turned on for printing to occur and must be located within usb cable length of the host computer.

That is enough for now.

Thanks for the quick responses.

There is a possibility of additional PC's being added in the future, although it isn't definite. The budget is tight; although the company owner basically said "Do what you need to", I don't want to spend a fortune.

The printer is a Dell 3115. It isn't mandatory to set up for sharing, but would be nice if it's possible.

Right now, there is no file sharing system, workgroup or network set up between any of the PC's for them to access each other. The only common connection between them is the internet modem. Can they be networked through this at all, or is a separate router needed? i also saw something about hubs and switches, would that be something to check into?

If I set up a single PC to act as a server/central point for this, what would be the minimal requirements for it?

I guess for me to kind of "get the overall picture" I need to actually do some diagramming on paper, then see exactly where I need to go with it and determine the best options.

I'm assuming all computers are connected to the same modem / router, if that is the case you don't need any extra equipment for file sharing. Right click on 'my computer' and change the workgroup of every computer to the same workgroup (will require a restart). At that point share the printer and go to each computer and add a computer, then follow the options to browse for a printer, search the workgroup and add the printer on each computer. Test print a page on each computer to ensure it is working properly.

At that point you'll want to figure out what route you'd like to take for file sharing. IMO you should have one central location for files, this mitigates the possibility of duplicate files and honestly is less confusing. Because if you share on each computer their files you'll end up having to click multiple network places to find files - opposed to if you have one location shared you'll always know where to go. You can even map that network location/drive to make things a bit easier.

The next step after determining if you want one location is how to do it. You could setup a single computer to act like a file server or purchase a file server. Whichever route you go ensure you have a reduntant backup in place.

Down and dirty and cheap it is.

Basically what Lex has said.

1) share printer or see if it has network capabilities or buy and inexpensive print server. Need to know the printer.

2) other option besides another computer is to purchase a NAS (networked attached storage) hard drive that all users can access. Couple that with 2 other hard drives for backups one in house and the other offsite rotated weekly. You can even use Microsoft's backup software if you wish.

OK, this is all very helpful. I actually have a PC with Win98 that isn't being used for anything; would this work as a central back up point, or would you suggest something more updated/secure?

I would not under any circumstances use a win 98 machine as a file server. A NAS box is basically a little linux fileserver (example). Or build another xp machine (not vista or you will have tough time with networking).

Hefe is correct. Never use Win98 for anything. There are more holes in that software than swiss cheese now that it is no longer supported by Microsoft. Flaws that can allow that OS to be taken over once it hits the internet even with AV and Firewall software installed.

I network my Vista machine fine w/ my Xp machine - but i have heard of people having issues.

Honestly if you are going to do this the 'cheap and dirty' way by just sharing files and creating backups, you either need to use a separate UNUSED computer for the sharing, or you need to make sure the computer that is being shared is 1) relatively new and high speed because the last think you want is a hardware failure on the file server system and if there are 4 or more users connecting to the machine it needs to be relatively fast to handle all of the requests. Otherwise the person working at that computer will hate it, as the system could get choppy (had this happen before).

As Hef said you could also use a NAS, really depends on your budget. Cheapest would be just to enable file sharing and do some type of backup (tape/DVD/USB drive), next cheapest would be a NAS, the third would be create a separate clone to share the folders, and the most expensive would be to purchase a server grade computer/server w/ a server OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom