Status
Not open for further replies.

broadcast

Beta member
Hi,

i want to setup one physical LAN that contains
- a Office LAN
- and a Guests LAN.

I could do this by creating VLANs for both, but i want to have it ideally even more flexible: So that every plug (i mean a ethernet plug where a user can plugin) that connects to this physical LAN gives access to the Office AND the Guest LAN. The Guest LAN would be the default connection. With some kind of key e.g. one could also get access to the office LAN. Is there a technology to implement something like this?

Also all the traffic at the office LAN must be encrypted then, so that nobody from the "Guests" can sniff data. The Guests LAN could be open and basically only provides connection to the internet (and a printer) but not to internal servers e.g.

I think such a scenario could be definitively realized by creating a VPN: Users can only connect to the Office LAN via VPN - the data is encrypted and only accessible when one has the key.

However is this a good idea? I see major problems: I don`t see a way that only the users need to connect to the VPN, but also the whole backbone (all the servers) must be in there, no?
Even more a problem: If i`m not wrong all the communication in the office LAN must then run via a single point: the VPN gateway/server, no? If so, that would be a big overhead in the network communication and would change the whole behaviour of the network (if one client sends data to another client that is connection to the same switch the data wouldn`t take the direct way via the switch but all needs to go via this single point of the VPN?)

Sorry for the long text. I hope the main point that i want to achieve is clear:
- Office and Guests LAN available from every plug
- Office LAN should be secure (Users from Guest LAN should not be able to sniff data)

The things about VLAN and VPN are just my thoughts and ideas, however i don`t have a professional knowledge about that at all - so i could well be that i got something wrong or that there is some other obviously approach (RADIUS?).

Please let me know what you think...

Thx!

Thx for the answer! However when i use IPsec for VPN i still see the problems i mentioned above:

- Either i need to select a host as a internat gateway and route ALL packets through it or
- to set up point-to-point connections for every single combination of hosts on the network.

I found something that says:
"In this setup one hits the limit of most current VPN packages: They only know of point-to-point connections. Only FreeS/WAN has/will eventually have the ability to connect two arbitrary hosts transparently."

Does IPsec support such a transparent setup? The sentence is quite old however as there is now Openswan and Strongswan instead of FreeS/WAN - but i didn`t find anything if they support that. Does someone knows more about it?

I also read today that IPsec is included in IPv6 - maybe that could be a solution: This should make it possible so all endpoints can encrypt all traffic transparently, no?

i was assuming you wouldnt setup a vpn rather just setup the ipsec connections.

i've never setup ipv6. you make it sound like its possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom