Odd addressing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
My dad's PC has Vista. He can no longer connect to the internet. DSL connection, no router. I haven't been over there but over the phone I had him check his IP adress. He says the IP is the same for his PC, the gateway and DNS/DHCP servers. His NIC is good with current drivers. His IP is in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range too which seems very strange to me with no router. My first instinct is it's a malware problem but if anybody has any other ideas I am open to suggestion.

Has he tried to flush DNS? Tried IPConfig release/renew?

Tried to reset the router? Seems as if the modem is firewalled itself.

Yep I had him do every one of those. Release/renew didn't work. It wouldn't get a new IP. I am starting to think maybe the DSL modem is toast. But it's only about 3 months old.

Okay i know this sounds stupid but how can you ping the internet? Wouldnt you have to ping a specific site not just the internet?

Can't ping anything outside of the gateway and loopback. I took my laptop over and got the same issue so I am 99% sure it is a problem with BellSouth. So I told him to call them and left.

Can't ping anything outside of the gateway and loopback. I took my laptop over and got the same issue so I am 99% sure it is a problem with BellSouth. So I told him to call them and left.

is it dsl?

maybe the router got reset and lost his pppoe info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom