Not connecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve617

Solid State Member
Its been a while since I have posted but I am stumped. My cousin has a XP machine with a built on motherboard network card that quit connecting. So her dad (they dont live at the same house) ask me to look at it so I added a PCI network card and quickly got it online at my house. (cable internet via router) so I thought it was fixed so I took it to my cousins dad and hooked it up to his internet and it does not read the Gateway when I do a IP config. It never connections. They have cable internet also and they never have a problem with their PC connecting. I reformatted their PC and reloaded XP and it will connect at my house but still not connecting at theirs. (they run straight off the modem they dont use a router) still the gateway is undetected they do get a IP address and a subnet mask. I have checked to automatically check the gateway in the advanced properties. I tried manually entering a gateway address but still not connecting. Any suggestions. Thanks. Oh one thing Im going to try is a different network card. However if it works at my house it should work at theirs. Thanks again.

So its getting an IP address but its not getting past the modem---is this correct? What IP are they getting? Is it a 169 number?

It may have been a 169. I have it written at his house. It shows limited connectivity (local only) but again I brought it back home and it connects fine. I'll double check the ip address

Thats not a valid IP address, that is the IP that windows will use when it can not find the DHCP server. Since it worked at your house I suspect the cause is either the gateway itself or the network cable you are using

What I dont understand is that my cousins father's PC works fine on it. (different pc than what im working on) So possibly it may work fine at her house. She lives about 150 miles away. He is going there next week.

I dont think its set up for a static IP address. I know he has had about 4 different PC's hooked to it in the last couple of years and they automatically has connected. I had for gotten his IP address when he connects on his, hes going to get back with me. I have his IP address written down at his house and he is going to call me later to see what they start with. Thier original problem was his daughter was not able to connect to the internet so I just figured to replace the onboard with a pci network card. Last night out of curosity I tried connecting with it at my house and it worked fine. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom