No Upload on Slave Router

mtemsah61

Beta member
Dear Community,

I will try to explain my problem as clearly as I can. If I missed any piece of info that can help you address it, please tell me and I'll try to provide it.

I have a main router (master), which is provided by my ISP for fiber optic connection, and a router I installed in the other half of the house (slave), to help improve wireless network over there.

The problem is that devices connected to the slave are having no/terribly low upload speeds. This is for both wired and wireless connections to the slave.
- The routers are connected via ethernet cable
- DHCP is disabled on slave
- IP address is outside the master's DHCP range
- Firewall, VPN, and ALG are disabled on slave
- Global Firewall is enabled on master and I CANNOT disable it (option greyed out)

The cable is fine, as I plugged it into the laptop and ran the test (speedtest.net), and got the normal download and upload speeds.
Master: Zhone Technologies ZNID-GPON-2426A-1MB (provided by Mobily in Saudi Arabia)
Slave: Tp-Link TL-WR740N

What else can I do?

...if the slave has an Access Point mode, set it to that. Most routers do not like having the WAN port of it connected to anything other than an actual WAN. You should also make sure the IP falls with in the same subnet...

So if your "master router" has an IP of 192.168.1.x then your "slave" will also need to be set to 192.168.1.x and connect them via the LAN ports and not WAN>LAN unless the AP mode if it has it, requires that.

Also, make sure that they are far enough apart that the wifi signal from one isn't clashing with the other one, that will cause what your experiencing real fast.

To add onto what c0rr0sive stated, I would also set a static channel for each router to make sure it's a different channel. Use this checklist to help out:

• Ethernet from master (LAN port) to slave (LAN port) are in the correct ports.
  • IP address for slave is in the same range as the master (I like to use .254).
  • Static channel set for both routers, each as a different channel.
  • DHCP disabled for slave.
  • Firmware updated for both.

Thank you c0rr0sive and MidnightShadow for your replies.

The slave indeed does not have an AP mode. They are connected via ethernet cable from LAN port 2 on master to LAN port 2 on slave.

Ip of master: 192.168.1.1
Ip of slave: 192.168.1.250
DHCP range of master: 192.168.1.100-192.168.1.200
DHCP on slave is disabled
Wireless channel of master is channel 6
Wireless Channel of slave is Channel 13
I performed a firware update on Slave.
I cant find firmware for master because it is provided by ISP with auto update features.

The problem still persists. Ideas ladies/gentlemen?

Trotter, that guide won't help here. He doesn't have an Access Point, it's a router that he's trying to use as an AP.

mtemsah61, it sounds like you have this setup correctly. Other things I can think of off the top of my head are a bad Ethernet cable connecting the AP to the router or interference. Since you're having issues with devices connected with a cable to the AP, I would suggest testing with a different cable from the AP to the router if possible. Check to make sure the IP addresses that you're getting are coming from the primary router and are correct.

For the wireless aspect of it, make sure that you're connected to the AP and not the router. If you have to, make sure the name of the AP's WiFi is different than the name of the primary router. You can just add '-AP' to the end (without the quotes) to set them apart. You can also try different static channels to see if it improves your WiFi connection to the AP, but that won't matter until your wired connections are good.

One last question, how long is the cable run from the router to the AP? You may also be suffering from signal degradation if the run is too long.

Thanks again for your reply MidnightShadow.

I had the same idea. I plugged the cable directly into the laptop and the results were normal. 24mbps download and 6mbps upload (thats what I get on my primary). So, I don't think it was the cable. The cable itself is 50m long CAT6.

I was contacting TP-Link support at the same time and this is what he finally reached after exhausting all options:

"[FONT=Calibri, Candara, Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I have consult our higher engineer.
They told me that the 740N main function is a router, so it will work pretty good in router mode, but we do not promise every time each time, it will work well in AP mode.
So if you want to have a access point , you should resolve to the pure Access point product, such as TL-WA701ND, TL-WA801ND etc.

Have a good day."

You think I should just purchase an AP?
[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom