No ping on 2nd computer of network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThebigE

Solid State Member
I have my two work computers hooked up to our network. We use Novell :mad: to log on. My first compluter (Win XP) was working fine up until a few days ago. I noticed that I could no longer VNC into my computer. I tried to ping my first computer, but nothing happened. When I go to my first computer, I can ping out to any computer on the network and everything looks fine. My second computer (Win XP) is on the same network and most of the same settings, that is working fine. I reinstalled my NIC, have tried various other things, and nothing seems to work. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Check that you do not have a firewall enabled on your first computer. If you can ping from it but not to it you have most likely enabled a firwall that is blocking access to the ports you require for VNC etc, hence no ping response.

I do not have any firewalls enabled, pretty much open to the network.
thanks

Yes already tried that, currently running a port scan to see if the problem lies there. Like I said it is really weird. Also ran a virus scan to see if I was infected with anything, but came up clean. All other computers on network see to be working fine.
thanks again.

Have you tried to ping it from a box other than the 2nd XP machine?

Are you able to ping from it to other machines at random in the office?

Is your subnet set correctly?

Sorry I cannot ping from Linux, Windows, Solaris, nothing. Can't ping from any computer on our network. Yes subnet is set correctly.

Thanks again

Ok, so you are saying that from the problem PC you can ping out to other machines? And the problem is that you can't ping the problem PC from other boxes?

-Mike

Yes, my problem box can vnc, ping, anything on our network, but noone is able to ping, vnc it.

Still sounds like a firewall...

The fact that you can successfully ping other computers on the network means that packets can be received by your NIC. So hardware problem is less likely.

A common firewall setup will deny any attempts to make connections with the problem machine from the network but will allow connections initiated by the user from the problem machine to other machines on the network.

Under Win XP go to:

start/Control Panel/Network Connections

Right click on the appropriate NIC (if you have more than one) and select properties

Click the advance tab in the properties window and make sure the 'Internet Connection Firewall' checkbox is not ticked

If it isn't do you have any third party firewall software installed, even if you think they are not turned on?

If not try turning on the Windows Firewall and click the settings button

click the ICMP tab

Check the 'Allow incomming echo request' and 'OK' the settings, then 'OK' to Local area connection settings

You have then specifically told a firewall on the device to respond to ping requests. then try pinging the problem machine from another on the network.

If this is sucessfull then your problem is most likely due to a firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom