No Internet. Something up with winsock (ipsec?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

always_stuck

Beta member
Hello

I am new to this forum.. I really need a hand. I have been searching and searching to no avail.

I am having a problem with a computer I was working on for a friend. I have seem to make it worse now :(

Originally it was loaded with spyware. TONS. Trojans, viruses, everything.. I managed to remove 95% of it. There was still just this one I couldn't figure out. But it wasn't bad. I was researching it and decided to get a bit cocky.. This is what I now call it at least. Anyways, I always used blackviper.com site for disabling services. But as of late his site has been down. So, I have been doing it off my other computer. I went in and disabled some services. Then I went into safe mode and tried to delete a .dll file. It wouldn't let me. it was locked. So it did nothing. the dll file was unrelated, just saying as it happened. Then I rebooted the computer back to normal and guess what. No internet. Would not connect.. So,then I realized that it had to be a service I disabled.

Went it and enabled them all again and rebooted. Nope, still no go? So I went in and enabled even more.. Still no go. Pretty much every one is setup for auto now and to start and still cannot connect to internet. I have tried disabling the eithernet card and enabling it again and that didn't work. Same with the network connection.

Now, when I go back into the services.. I notice that IP sec is not running. When I go to start it, it errors out. Error, 10002 off the top of my head. An invalid arguement. The same goes for a few other services. Like SSDP.

I have searched and search, I cannot find out what happen to this computer.. Anybody have any ideas?

hmmm, boot the machine and check for inet connectivity. When it fails, goto control panel and open network connections. right click Local area connection and click properties. click the support tab. you're looking for your ip address. it'll prolly be 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x. try clicking repair. it may fail. if so, click the general tab and click properties. Double click tcpip and make sure ip address and dns addresses are auto assign from dhcp. If they are, goto system properties in your control panel. open device manager, uninstall your network card. reboot and build your network from scratch.

Blackviper.com is gone, but the description of services that can be safely disabled is still available at:

http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12

However... I have a feeling the loss of internet connection is not related to services. It sounds like some system files were probably damaged or deleted. Personally, I would try doing start->run "sfc /scannow". With any luck, this will restore the damaged files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom