no internet - multiple routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortrix

Beta member
I have an office in a community-style office building (small busineses have thier own rooms). My office has a single ethernet connection coming into the room, which work fine by itself. I am trying to setup a DLink DIR-615 router, to ultimately 1) share internet wirelessly, 2)share our network (IP configurable) laser printer, and 3)share files off the server computer through a network to be accessed by other employees laptops via wireless connection.

PROBLEM:
When connecting the DLink to the existing ethernet connection in the room, the internet connection is lost and will not route wirelessly or to the wired ports. I assume it is because the connection coming into my room is off a main router/switch being monitored/maintained by the buidlings management.

Any idea how I can get my router to split the internet connection by only having to change the DLink configuration settings, while still preserving the routing capabilities so I can setup my network?

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar problem when i tried to hook my router back up. Basically what i was told to do is turn everything off and turn them back on in order starting from the wall out. So you would want to turn the router on, might even have to reset it so that it starts passing out ip addresses, then everything that hooks to the router. Was somewhat of a pita to get mine working again, but i havent had to touch it since.

I currently only have one computer hooked up to the router when testing the internet connection.

The internet connection coming from the existing ethernet connection in the room works only when directly connected to a computer. When I connect the cable into the router, I lose internet connectivity, both wirelessly and through the wired ports.

I want to take the internet connection that currently only works when directly connected to a computer, and share that working connection using the router. This is my problem.

It depends on the setup of the network.
They could be using mac filtering. If that's the case, go into your DLink and find the page that will allow you to ghost the mac address of your computer onto the router.

Other than that I would work with whomever manages the current connection.

I've tried cloning my computer's MAC address to the router and no success.

I changed the router address from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.2.1 and no luck.

Could it be DHCP?

Here is the "ipconfig /all" when connected WITHOUT the router and only connected to the computer, resulting in a working internet connection:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetLink (TM) Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-C0-9F-D3-27-75
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.89
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 12.109.148.226
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 12.127.17.71
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, January 03, 2008 10:11:02AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, January 04, 2008 10:11:02 AM

When I check my IP address online, it comes back as 12.109.148.243

I'm confused as to why the router shouldn't be working when I plug in a working internet connection. Could the building's IT dept have something blocking my router from splitting the signal on thier side? I can't deal with them directly as they don't allow the use of routers (want to make us pay for extra connections in the room).

Thanks again in advance.

Is the computer that works your own that you bought or was it supplied by them?

Was there any software that you had to install that allowed you to use the internet?

From the sounds of it they may have implemented some sort of Port-Based Authentication. (802.1x, or similar)

Any computer can be connected and the internet will work. Both laptops that have used the ethernet are personal and there was no software installed prior to internet use.

It seems like it may be a router confirguration problem. I doubt the building's tech department is sophisticated enough to block my router. Other offices have wireless setup (some are even unprotected) so I definitely think its possible. Maybe a hardware problem?

Completely possible. Do you have broadband at home? Might try the router there to see if it works.

Hardware problem. I replaced the router and all works perfectly now. Thanks for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom