Nightly Internet Crashes...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlatan

Solid State Member
Well a few months ago, 1-3 i brought my new pc (which i was assisted on the forums about) and new recently for a month or so i have been having what seems to be IP renewal problems at least that is my current guess. Everyday for the past month my internet crashes at exactly 8pm and is disabled (works but it takes half an hr+ to load google) till 6:45am.Also i don't know if this is helpful while my ISP was investigating i was told i had 95% data loss on connection. I have had several "techs" out from my ISP to investigate the problem with my modem changed 3 times all wiring changed twice, i was told its my hardware so i scanned my pc with Avast! Antivirus & Malwarebytes and have recovered nothing.I have restored my pc to its build restore point with no difference, i have removed my router from the equation replaced the ethernet cable about 6 times now and nothing. I even did manual ip renewal which does nothing. I'm unsure of the problem and i suspect its the renewal on because of the exact times. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Please help!

Hmm, at our house we had a problem with internet also, but it was more "unstable" After many many months, the problem ended up being a faulty connection made by the comcast guys in our neighborhood! They fixed that and the internet is super good now.

But, this sounds like a virus to me. Do your other computers work?
Also, is it EXACTLY 8PM? This might be a hint to the problem being at a place where sunlight hits.

There is a 5minute variation 8pm-8:05pm, i figured it might be something thermal but that is a long shot in my mind. Yes, it effects multiple computers and even my friends laptop (works fine everywhere else) i borrowed to see if it was just my computers. I've tried my isp several times but at this point they blame my equipment. This has only been recent i have lived in my current house for 17yrs now and with the same isp for most of that time.

If it is not localized to your system and is effecting every machine you connect to your internet it is your ISP not your equipment. Is it cable, dsl, or fiber?

I had the same problem a few years ago. At 10pm every night, my internet would drop out. At the time I was living on top of a retail shop. One night I happened to be outside at 10pm and noticed that was the same time that the shop's neon sign would turn off via a timer switch. It turned out that my phone cable and the power cable for the neon sign was too close. Every time the shop sign would turn off for the night, it would affect my phone line.

Sounds like there might be some thing else on a time switch that is effecting your internet connection. Some thing the does spring to mind is maybe a water heater.

There are still some options you can try.

FIRST thing, WHAT TYPE of service is this? Is this Cable internet, DSL, FIOS, what? I am not familiar with FIOS service, so I will give you suggestions for cable or DSL connections. Depending on the type of modem you have, you SHOULD be able to connect to it, and see some kind of diagnostic page which will show you line statistics.

If you have DSL, take your modem out to the back of your house (possibly inside, depends), to the NID (Network Interface Device). This is typically a gray box where the telephone wires come into one end from the pole, and the other end goes into the house. Unless you have some kind of a 'line service' with the carrier, anything on the INSIDE of your house is NOT the ISP's responsibility. There should be a phone jack inside of there, and that is the Demarcation point. If you have a telephone line with it as well, you can plug the phone into that, and get dialtone. WELL, UNPLUG that, and plug your DSL modem in right there. If you STILL have the trouble there with a known good cable, and a good modem, then the trouble is from the telephone company, and you need to get them out to fix it. Emphasize when the trouble occurs, and that you want a tech to be dispatched at that time.

I would show you a pic of the NID at my house, but I am at work, and it will be dark by the time I get home. Here is one I found on DSL reports that is an animated .gif that shows it both opened and closed.
NewNID.gif

If you have cable, the same type of thing applies. While the cable company doesn't really have a NID or demarcation point per say (at least not at my house, my yard has a pedistal in the back corner of my backyard, and a burried cable that comes up and enters the house at the same spot that the phone line comes in) you might be able to do this from inside, might not. I know at my house that there USED to be a splitter on the OUTSIDE of the house that brought the cable inside, and around the house from the exterior, but I ripped that junk out, and recabled the house (almost done). Locate the first in-line connector that you can, and connect up the cable modem. If the problem persists from there, again, call up the ISP, have them come out.

I would have to ASSUME the same would be true of a FIOS type fiber service, but I don't have it, haven't ever seen an installation of it, so I don't know if it is fiber INTO the house, or if it is a fiber to copper handoff in the NID at the back of the house (guessing that there would be a NID).

JUST A NOTE.... If you perform either test that I suggested above, ALL of your services connected to that line from the carrier will NOT WORK if you are testing it.... IE: NO PHONE, NO INTERNET, NO TV (assuming they all come through the same connection). You will have connectivity from where you are connected, but the whole house will be "dark"... Just want to warn you, had some friends try those steps, and got chewed because they didn't realize that would happen, and I didn't mention it because, DUH, figured it was kind of obvious.

As long as you are absolutly 110% sure it isn't something in your home which might be envirmental as Harper suggested, or sunlight issues as anohteruser suggested (I have seen this documented a few times in the past 7 years) with work, there is another option. Given the duration, I would lean towards something thermal, sun rises, hits component x, heats it, metal expands, connection is fine, sun sets, metal cools, contracts, loss of signal. Typically, I would assume this would go DOWN COMPLETELY the whole time, but I suppose it is possible to have a large number of errors on the line due to that.

Your ISP might tell you that it would be billable, but talk with them to see if you can have a tech dispatched out to your premise when the trouble occurs, and have them use some kind of diagnostic device to see if the trouble is coming from the LINE, or your HOME. As I said, I don't know if an ISP would do this, and they might charge for it.

Like was mentioned earlier, chat it up with neighbors, and see if they are seeing the same kind of thing. Share DETAILS. You neighbors might not see the issue because they are in bed watching Matlock at 7:30pm, 30 minutes before the issue starts.... hahaha. Couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom