NIC assigning its own Static IP Address...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Ok, so I had a friend that had either a Mobo or CPU die, and she ordered new parts and I built a fresh machine for her. After installing everything, the machine was good to go. It is a Socket 754 Sempron, because she was on a next-to-nothing budget, and needed a computer. So, machine was good when I gave it to her, and against my plea's and suggestions, she installed Limewire...

That being said, I am wondering if anyone else has ever seen a NIC (wireless) change its own settings from Obtain address automatically to a static address? This is the SECOND time that this has happened. She called me at work today, and I walked her through looking into it, and we found that it had an address of 192.168.0.1, same as the router. So we changed it to DHCP, and bam, it was good to go. It is using an AirLink101 PCI 802.11G card. This happened a few months back, and I stopped over there after work and fixed it.... SAME thing.

The only other thing is that maybe her brother is messing with her, but I doubt it, cause I don't know if 1. he has her passwords, and 2. if he is tech-savvy enough to know how to put a static IP on the card.

Other than this I have NEVER seen it happen before. Anyone?

I've never seen this happen without a script or manual user intervention. As for any OS... can't do it unless it is done manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom