newly added computers to the workgroup using a router can not see the rest of workgro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmeax

Beta member
hi,

i have workgrouped 5 computers and 1 printer in my office.

All of these computers can see and access each other and print.

i had to add a new computer to this existing network but there are no outlets from wall which i can connect the new computer.

so, i used a D-Link broadband router.

I connected router's WAN port to wall and from router's LAN ports i connected two computers using two separate cables.

Now these two computer can access internet like the rest of the computers but cannot print or see other computers.

what could be the problem, is it the firewall in the router preventing this?

pls, help.

Re: newly added computers to the workgroup using a router can not see the rest of wor

I'm assuming you have another router to which the rest of the pc's and the D-link router are connected. Couple of things to check:

Are you positive you've set the new computers in the right subnet?
Check the configuration on the ports between the first router and the D-Link router and verify they are correctly configured.
Ping the D-Link router from one of the original pc's? If the ping fails, check the above again.

Re: newly added computers to the workgroup using a router can not see the rest of wor

I'm assuming you have another router to which the rest of the pc's and the D-link router are connected. Couple of things to check:

Are you positive you've set the new computers in the right subnet?
Check the configuration on the ports between the first router and the D-Link router and verify they are correctly configured.
Ping the D-Link router from one of the original pc's? If the ping fails, check the above again.

yes, there is another router in the 2nd floor.

for the new computer i set "Obtain IP Adress" automatically, that includes subnet mask and gateway.

so, what should i do?

you need to set them up, making sure they are included in the same workgroup name as the rest of the computers in the workgroup. which it sounds like you have done before...
SO....
i am kind of confused by your original post....
but i dont think you can add a router in a different area that is not connected to the first router in some way and expect computers connected to the second router to be part of the first router's workgroup.
i.e. they need to be on the same router to be in the same workgroup.
is there any way you can use one of the first router's LAN ports to feed the second router? i am fairly sure this would solve the problem.
or, you could type in the address of the first router (usually on a sticker under the router...default is probably 192.168.1.1...admin/password are defaults for netgear, dont know bout d-link) in your IExplorer address bar and get into the settings of the router. go to the IP settings and take note of them. then, type in the address of the second router from one of the computers connected to it. go into the IP address settings page of the second router, and change the IP/DNS etc settings to the same as the first router. i would try this first.
if it is only connected directly to the internet and not the rest of your workgroup, using "obtain IP automatically" will give it (the router itself) another IP from your main workgroup's router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom