newbie wireless setup not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
not on the laptop but definitely on the desktop i used to set up the router... i noticed that too. could the router be broken?

The router could be broken, you havnt gaven me the router name

Okay manual time

Go to the conrol panel into the network places> Right click properties > Scroll down to TCP\IP > Press properties and do the following

For the DNS you will have to find them in your router and manually enter them, your ISP gives you this

http://img137.echo.cx/my.php?image=tcpip1ei.jpg

Not sure what you mean. Its a DI-624 from D-link. Anyway, it does seem like I don't get a default gateway IP on the laptop when connected.
how do i know which the DNS my ISP gives me. Usually its set to "Obtain an IP automatically"?
Thanks everyone.

Just look in the router your DNS should be their, somewhere.

Well at least you got a half decent d-link, if you said some models and try'ed this far, i would say have some fun and throw it off your roof.

it depends on what kind of a isp you have, do you use PPpOE or what? If you have generic Cox internet or RoadRunner, you dont have a DNS. Make sure that you have the newest firmware for the router. I had a friend that was having a problem similiar to the one that you are having. He reformatted his laptop and it worked fine... So I dont know, I would start off with checking on the firmware and then go from there. Good Luck.

tried the DNS, tried the firmware and still nothing. frustrating is i pick up my neighbors automatically....

Okay your router is messed enough that you should try returning it, because it's not working like it should.

thought of that. however, my router is picked up and works fine on someones laptop using a belkin card. so my D-link card picks up someone else router and my router works fine with someone else card. just not each other. wonders of computer technology.

its a software problem i think. this laptop picks up linksys signal using both belikin card and D-link card. will not pick up the D-link router with either card - no Gateway IP. this computer had XP home preinstalled.

other laptop will pick up D-link router with belkin card and also linsys router. this compter was upgraded to XP Pro from Win 98 but a really old XP Pro.

the desktop computer is connected to the internet right?
use that and type in 192.168.1.1
or wutever the ip it might be to connect to ur router's setting

once you got that done
use that IP you just enter starting with 192.168.x.x
and put that in the Preferred DNS server:

change the default gateway to the same thing as the DNS server i just told you about

if you want to find out for an easier way
go to ur desktop computer
and click start>run
type cmd
enter ipconfig /all
to know all ur settings as it should be for the laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom