newbie wireless setup not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

albela

Baseband Member
I just bought DI-624 DWL-G650 from D-Link. I set it up so that my modem is going through to my PC via that router and I am trying to pick up the internet on my laptop. The PC is fine but the laptop shows my router and says the signal is strong (I can click on conect and it says it is) but when i turn on IE there is no internet.

i have powered up and down the modem and the router several times as per instructions but its not working.

This may be something really dumb but would appreciate help.
Thanks.

Hrm im really clueless on this one

So, the PC gets internet, have you done any security crap that could block you from the net?

maybe i was not clear. the internet goes from the wall into modem and then into the router (WAN), out the router (LAN) and into the desktop. this is all connected through wire. so i guess the desktop works...

it seems like the laptop is picking the router because it says, strong signal. it seems that the router is not transmitting the internet wirelessly....

Can you type 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.1.1) into internet explorer as well as do this

start > control panel > network connections > find wireless and click once and on the top right menu bar click view status of this connection.

Take a screenshot or post the info under support > advanced in that popup

do this on the desktop thats connected by wire to the router or on the laptop which is not getting the internet?

when i do 192.168.0.1 on the desktop it takes me to the routers setup and i used the wizards to set everything up.

when i check status on the laptop for the connection it says "enabled". in details it also shows when the IP address was leased etc. Basically it shows that its connected. but no internet.

i had WEP security on. next i am going to turn it off and see if that works.

If you have WEP set up make sure the keys line up.On the laptop what IP do you get?Even though you get excellent strength check the IP.Well you said you are going to take the WEP off see if you can connect then,if so then the keys are not linning up.

no. turning off the WEP did not work. logged on to my neighbors wireless right now. i notice his detail shows DNS server etc. maybe it something to do with that but then i think this is supposed to be dynamic IP.

connection-specific DNS suffix :
IP address :192.168.0.1
Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway :

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom