Newbie: War Driving....

Status
Not open for further replies.

josuem

Baseband Member
Ok, I'm new to war driving and just wanted to know a few things, such as, what equipment will I need? Software? Will I get thrown in jail ;)? Right now, I have a Dell 5100 Lappie with a USR Wireless PCMCIA 802.11b/g card, and am currently using Netstumbler. Is that an okay setup? I also have a GPS system. Is there an easy way that I can incorporate that inot this? Oh yeah, I do have a car, I think that might be kinda necessary... Anyways, let mek now what ya'll think I might need. Thanks

Yes, the so-called art of finding wi-fi access points and routers and then exploiting them for security purposes. I may have posted in the wring forum, sorry 'bout that.

Ah, I see. No, I'm not a hacker, which, if I were, I wouldn't be saying this. No, I'm trying to get a war driving group started in my hometown, and thought this might be a good start. Actually, believe it or not, we're Christian Geeks, and our plan is to find open and exposed networks and give the owner a kind warning and how to fix it. I suppose someone could see me as a hacker, but, by exploiting I don't mean that I will be stealing data by any means. Of course ya'll could just say that this is just a bunch of bull, but that's the way it works. Hope that helps.

this is the first time i ever heard of this ''war driving'' so what u do is u drive down ppls street till u find somebodys internet connection on wireless then u start useing there connection.i would put u in jail and dont routers have encryption and other functions that block ppl like u.....

ill be watchin my street for ppl in cars parked in front of house and if i see somebody with a laptop there windows will be smashed lol:D

Well, there is no harm done as long as you don't try and compromise a persons network... So if you happen to find a WiFi HotSpot somewhere please DON'T try and hack them...

I've tried War Driving... well, actually I was in my train on the way home from work so I guess its called.. War Railing.. anywho, I was able to detect 270 wireless networks in the 20 miles or so from my job to my house.

I was surprised to see that many, I guess WiFi is really taking off!!

Here is a screen shot, I disabled the GPS coordinates to protect the exact locations, so everyone out there, lock down your AP's!! You never know who might be passing by.. in a train :) :)

Screen Shot

EDIT: It seems like the screen shot wasn't showing, sorry for any delays, this has been rectified.

josuem said:
Ah, I see. No, I'm not a hacker, which, if I were, I wouldn't be saying this. No, I'm trying to get a war driving group started in my hometown, and thought this might be a good start. Actually, believe it or not, we're Christian Geeks, and our plan is to find open and exposed networks and give the owner a kind warning and how to fix it. I suppose someone could see me as a hacker, but, by exploiting I don't mean that I will be stealing data by any means. Of course ya'll could just say that this is just a bunch of bull, but that's the way it works. Hope that helps.

Hahaha, that awfully kind of you:p

I wanna get into my bosses access point just to mess with him:D :)

io guess u need net stumbler to find the points and air snort to find the password, download the first episode of the broken.org and the y tell u what u need to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom