New to Wireless connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy410

Solid State Member
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a wireless router for a desktop pc and a Playstation2. I gotta few questions;

How can I tell if my computer has a USB wireless network adapter installed already on it?

Also which wireless technology is best for my needs 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?

just get a broadband wireless router off Newegg and connect it directly. then get a wireless card for the Ps2 and configure it to the Linksys router

Andy410 said:
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a wireless router for a desktop pc and a Playstation2. I gotta few questions;

How can I tell if my computer has a USB wireless network adapter installed already on it?

Also which wireless technology is best for my needs 802.11a, 802.11b, or 802.11g?

802.11g is the fasted right now. But yeah just buy yourself a wireless G router off of newegg and buy an adapter for your PS2. The router has 5 eithernet ports on the back, one for internet and four for wired routing. it should also have two antenas.

Andy410 said:

You need to look on the back of your computer and see if you can see a antenna sticking up. If you dont, then you dont have wireless, if you do see one, then you do.

To Add-on to this rather than start another Noob Thread ... Why have a 108Mbps Wireless Router when even the best commercial broadband connections dont get anywhere near that ?

to be future proof. Also if you are sharing info between computers the 108 is nice. for internet it does not matter. the difference in price is so small why not have the g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom