New WiFi Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merc

Beta member
I'm about to insytall a Motorola (SBG900) wireless cable modem gateway and have a newb question. I understand that
initially the modem will have to be hooked up to a PC (USB or Ethernet) to configure. After this initial configuration is complete, and
the security is set up will I be able to disconnect the PC
from the modem, put a wireless card in it and connect
wirelessly or does the PC have to stay connected (wired)
permanently?

After the intitial setup via cable, just pop in your wireless card (drivers and all) and you should be set. The one thing you will need is an SSID. You will set that up when you setup the wireless on the router. The client on your laptop must match.

Thanks Rick. It's a weird situation. I have one cable outlet and am not allowed to run any wires in the apartment, so wireless. Then I was told (Cox rep. local cable provider tech support) that I must leave a PC wired to the modem at all times which didn't seem logical. Anyways, I guess I'll have to connect via ethernet/usb to change configurations or security but otherwise should be able to run both PC's from the wireless gateway. Reading this forum has helped me understand the security issues a great deal more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom