new small business setup - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get a Dell. At least go to Tigerdirect.com and buy a prebuilt server from there. way better priced and better components that aren't "dumbed down". get dual xeon's at least. screw the 2MB L3 cache though. only marginal performance increase over the non L3 cache but way more expensive

Back up- DVD maybe. When i worked at a pharmacy we used tape drives and i had never seen one of them replaced in 2 years i worked there. i think they are reliable.

HDD - I dont care how fast your processor is, if you get a 15k rpm scsi the computer is going to fly. little pricey though. if not a scsi then look into dual 76g Western Digital Raptors in Raid 10 (aka 0+1) data security plus performance.

Anti-Virus - Nothing more to say here. its a MUST

Anti-hacker - in high school we used a program to protect our servers that told when someone was trying to access the network from the outside. gave IP and everything. not sure what it was though. I think it is another MUST.

If your goign to run a network i might suggest a gigabit control. its got some CRAZY file transfer times between computers on a network.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom