new small business setup - help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankieee

Baseband Member
I'm going to need some tips:

A friend will need me to set up a single pc which will (in a year) be the main server for a small business network.

What kind of things should I take into consideration when I setup this pc?

The main app that will be used on jobs (until next year) is AutoCad and there will be a plotter and possibly a LazerJet or some type of fax printer. They have decided on using a Dell as their main and only system (which I believe will be high end). I may or may not be able to give some input on the Dell, but suggestions are welcome. They will be using pc-direct (via sattelite) for online work.

A few of my own ideas for future networking are:
a firewall - need suggestions
an anti-virus - thinking symantec corporate
OS/Office - corp editions
2nd hard drive - for storage/backup

There's probably a load of information when considering a future network, so bring it on!

anti-virus - may i suggest computer associate's etrust inoculateIT (www.ca.com). It's been my experience that this scanner will pick up viruses in real-time that norton won't (default configuration will need to changed). Also, you get free updates for life!!!

Office - nice if you got the cash, but on every pc i build now i throw on OpenOffice.org (www.openoffice.org)...because its free!!! There are differences and while i've never deeply explored it, it should have the same functionality.

HD - every think of RAID or a backup solution? It would be a ***** to lose corporate data.

The $$ is there and the products need to be legit because eventually the company will need official licensing.

I've mentioned that he invest in a second hard-drive for backup plus he'll be burning the information on a nightly basis.

anti-virus = i like using symantec antivirus "small business edition"...it works great...

HDD = RAID....like csamuels said, it would be a real b**** to lose corporate data

back-up = you said he'll be 'burning' info? why dont you guys look into tape drive backups....all you need to do is either create your own backup batch file, or purchase a product such as Backup Exec, to back the data straight onto a tape drive everynite.....rather than burning the sh*t. IMO, I think it'll be easier

RAID *is* a great idea.

I don't know what to get in terms of backup tape systems. Tell me more...

I agree with DYNASTY, tape drives sure beat having to burn all that information evey night. Basically with the tape drive your backing up all your information onto little tapes that can store from a couple hundred megabytes to several gigabytes of info. They are cost efficient and easy to use and can be ran without supervision.

i'm not sure about cost, but tape drives are VERY efficient. Like DENIGO said, you can pop a tape drive in before you leave for the day and you dont need to do ANYTHING else...everything should be scheduled to run by itself...if something goes wrong with the backup job, you will find out about it the next morning. Or you can remote access the network and check it over nite...

I have an understanding of the tape backup system but what reliable brands names should I be looking at for a tape backup system? Anyone out there know about costs?

Personally i like the HP brands, never had a problem with them. I'm not to sure of the price, but on their site, they have an option to order a catalog of products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom