New Router for Fast Internet?

uchiha191942

Solid State Member
Hey Tech-Forums, I have recently upgraded my verizon internet from 25/25mbps to 75/35mbps and verizon has told me to purchase their Gige N Wireless Router for the faster internet. I have read though that the router only really does computer to computer transfers, and doesn't really do much with actual internet speeds. I just don't want to spend $80 on a router that won't do anything for me. So I would just like some clarification on what, if anything, I need to buy to fully use my faster internet.

If you only have one machine connected to the internet, you do not need a router.

A gige N router would make for fast computer to computer transfers on your internal network (wireless as well assuming you have computers with wireless N cards) but would not boost internet speeds.

Well, I have my friend living with me atm so we are using two computers but are not transfering any data between the two, except for games. So, we don't need another router to use the internet to it's full potential?

Honestly, you should be able to get any Wireless N router. They come a bit cheaper than what they're trying to sell it for.

Unless they already have a router. ;)

If they just have a wireless G router and need wireless then any N router would be an upgrade (assuming computers are N compatible). Since G is 54mbps in theory it would limit the 75mbps speeds on their new service. Assuming they actually get the advertised speed. That is why I would test a direct wired computer to the modem first to get an accurate speed test.

If they are wired then no need.

You can try using a differnt DNS server and get better speeds. Try either Google's DNS servers or OpenDNS and see if you get a speed bump.

Back
Top Bottom