new PC no internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
I am going tonight to look at a PC that is new, or near new. Never been on the internet, never had a CAT-5 connected to it. The cable company guys say the NIC is bad. I was there last night, and since there was no cable modem yet, I really couldn't/didn't do much other than make sure it is set for DHCP, that it was enabled in device manager, and that I could ping the loopback. The cable guys connected a laptop to the cable modem and got a IP address, no such luck on the PC. I can't imagine a new PC having a bad NIC. Device manager says it is working, I can ping the loopback. It's an onboard so no chance of it being unseated. I'm gonna run winsockxp and see if it helps. They bought a new NIC but I really don't think they need it. I'm gonna take my lappy and download new drivers for the onboard NIC and reinstall it. Also will take a crossover cable and see if I can connect directly. Any other suggestions? I must be missing something simple here.
Edit: forgot to mention it runs XP. Not positive if it is home or pro.

You said it can obtain an IP address, ping the IP address to test the routing table. You can view the routing table with route print and the arp table with arp -a. If not try winsockxp, that should fix it. Also check DHCP client service is started in service.msc

It was so easy a caveman could have done it. Thanks Law.

... Also check DHCP client service is started in service.msc

It was set to automatic, but it was stopped. I set recovery to restart service also. Did ipconfig /release and /renew. Problem solved. The cable guys spent 30 minutes on the phone with their tech support people and another 15 minutes telling these folks I was an idiot. Well, maybe that's true, but it works now. And she gave me cookies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom