New Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCompany

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I recently got myself a new comp and bought a router so my comp and my parents' comp could both use the internet, and also be able to share files and the printer. So I plugged in the router and the internet worked fine for both computers with no problems. Then I decided to set up a network so we could share files and such but I ran into all sorts of problems. I set up a home network on my comp (winXP), then used the winXP cd to do the same to my parents' comp (winME). Now I guess the network DOES exist because both comps can recognize the network and the comps on them (after a good 2 mins of waiting for it to find them), but when I try to get info on the other computer or something, I get an error saying the computer is not accessible or is off the network or some crap. So it's odd because both comps do detect the network....I just can't use it. Also, it takes a very long time to actually find printers or computers on the network when I search for it. (Side Notes: I tried to share a printer and it took 2 mins to find the computer that had the printer, but when I tried to click on it share the printer, I just got another error saying that printer does exist...sigh.)

I'm sorry that I can't be more direct with what the problem is or what exactly I did - I'm very new to networks and firewalls and such, so I really have no idea how to approach this. So if you have any questions that I can answer to better help you help me, please ask away. Thanks a lot guys.

well man I don't think your router is delivering udp packets. if you want to let the computers see each other in the networkplace, you have to have the router deliver udp packets between computers. by default, udp is non-routable so the router is not delivering it. why not tell us what kinda router you have, and we'll try to find out how to configure it to forward udp?

It's a Linksys Etherfast Cable/DSL router. I don't understand why a router wouldn't let you share files and folders by default? I find that off due to routers usually be used for that main purpose. Thanks again.

Is the XP firewall enabled on XP?
I am assuming they are on the same workgroup since you can see the other computer. I would double check the settings for the file/folder you want to share?

My cousin also has a linksys router, a WinXP PC, and a Win ME PC with a printer hooked up to the WinXP PC. But when I set up the network for him, I do not remember using a Win XP CD to do it. The PCs automatically saw each other, but it did take a minute or so to find the computers. What does the Win XP CD do?

godai73 said:
My cousin also has a linksys router, a WinXP PC, and a Win ME PC with a printer hooked up to the WinXP PC. But when I set up the network for him, I do not remember using a Win XP CD to do it. The PCs automatically saw each other, but it did take a minute or so to find the computers. What does the Win XP CD do?

On it there's an option to set up a Home Network, so I used the CD like the instructions told me to.

To turn off XP firewall go to Control Panel>Network Connections...righ-click on your current Network Connection (e.g. Dial-Up or Local Area Connection)...click on Properties. Then click the Advanced tab...make sure all is unchecked. Click Ok.

With that said...I never used Windows ME but someone once posted that Windows ME don't have networking capabilities, though I don't know if that meant full networking capabilities or partial. I only heard it once so I wouldn't bet on it! But if someone that has used Windows ME and networked successfully maybe you can clear that up for us! Confirmation needed.

zilantyas said:
To turn off XP firewall go to Control Panel>Network Connections...righ-click on your current Network Connection (e.g. Dial-Up or Local Area Connection)...click on Properties. Then click the Advanced tab...make sure all is unchecked. Click Ok.

With that said...I never used Windows ME but someone once posted that Windows ME don't have networking capabilities, though I don't know if that meant full networking capabilities or partial. I only heard it once so I wouldn't bet on it! But if someone that has used Windows ME and networked successfully maybe you can clear that up for us! Confirmation needed.

I don't know much about firewalls but isn't that dangerous? Does everyone with a network have turn off their firewalls?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom