New ISP, possible block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PP Mguire

Build Guru
Ok so just got my new ISP today (technically yesterday) and all was fine and dandy till i tried visiting a site im on all the time and found "server not found". Asked a friend whos on the site and he said he could get to it. I tried the other connection (its still up) and i could get to it. Tried a proxy and i could get to it, as well as using the IP and that worked.

Ive done alot of Google and ive got mixed responses. One popular one seems to be the domain is blocked (low and behold, COICA?) and the second one is the DNS is simply not resolving within the ISP. Im gonna hang on a limb and say its simply blocked but i want to know how to actually make sure the ISP blocking. So does anybody have any idea how to figure this out?

If I remember right, an ISP does not have permission by the FCC to block any service nor website, infact, the FCC ruled that it wasn't permitted for any ISP to do such things.

And, COICA is held off till next year, even though the gov is going through with taking control of domains already.

I have a feeling, the internet is no longer free, and a lot will be changing in the next two years.

Curious, could you see what the website resolved to when using your ISP provided DNS, and when using a different DNS?

I had 3 different guys tell me they dont block anything and the last guy to help me was a "Sr ISP Tech" (lold at that). He was saying they dont block it but when they traced to Demonoid they got out of their networks and where blocked before reaching Demonoids server. I told him it smells like a DNS filter to me, because changing DNS worked. He said that he was going to suggest changing my DNS....which basically proved me right from the beginning.

Its like the other company thats out here (Skybeam) tries saying they dont throttle at all.....yet im throttled all the time (for simply browsing or going to Youtube).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom