New internet-wired problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyecdevf

In Runtime
I live in an apartment with multiple people. We all connect to the internet through router. O.K. So far so good.

Now a couple of days ago we got a new internet. We still have the old one because the old one is on cable and the new one goes via the telephone line. In fact I want to keep both...any way when I connected a few people on the new internet some people had problems including my self.

I use Ubuntu. At least for the moment I have Ubuntu installed on two of my computers. I have a laptop and desktop PC. Now the desktop pc which has the same version of Ubuntu as my laptop is not going to connect to the new internet while my laptop works fine now but even the laptop had problems recognizing the new internet.

When I first pluged my laptop into the router/modem that the ISP provided I managed to connect to the internet but the connection was incredibly slow so that the technician had to come over and check this out. He realized that every thing was O.K. So that I played around with the settings on my ubuntu for a while and than I tried to connect it through a switch and that worked for what ever reason. I have no idea why it worked through a switch and not when it was directly connected to the modem/router. It is working now but my desktop PC is still not recognizing the new internet. I am thinking of reinstalling or using some new linux on it but at the moment that is not my biggest concern.

Some other people in the apartment are having problems too. Only one guy managed to be using the new internet. He has windows XP while his girldfriend who is using vista has problems. Another woman with ubuntu as well on her dell laptop is having problems too with the new internet. So what do you think is the issue we are having. I am really confused now and I do not know how to solve this or what should I tell them why we are having all these problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom