New Dell Windows 7 Internet Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny830x

Beta member
Hey,

My girlfriends internet connection is some type of "guest" connection that appears as an unsecure network, but it asks for your password when you open the web browser.

I just bought a new Dell computer with Windows 7, and when I connect to the internet and open the browser it just says the webpage is unavailable. This means I cannot enter the password and therefore, I cannot connect to the internet.

One of the errors I get is "Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (dns server) is not responding.

I should add that I got that this computer today, and used it at my own home where the internet did work. Both connections are Verizon Fios, so I tried deleting my home connection that I had saved from the Network Manager.. just in case it tried to use the same password thinking it was the same connection.

This did not help, obviously

Any help with how I can manually enter the connections password, or any other fix for this?

Thanks

It's a Verizon Fios combo modem/router. Like I said it is some kind of weird setup where the connection is actually an unsecured network but when you open the browser it asks for a password, so it technically is "secure". However, I am not sure what you call this type of encryption.

The problem lies in the browser not letting me enter the password.

Is this WiFi or a wired connection? Reason I asked is because at the school I attend and work at, their WiFi is similar to as you described above, it's a unsecure network but when you open a web browser it asks to log into the network for internet access. Only main difference is that in school, it's the school's WiFi so either of the tech personnel logs on and manually adds the person to the database if their new...as for yours, sounds like the ISP's router/modem.

Yeah, thats exactly what it is. An unsecure network that is secured by a password when you first open the web browser. But other computers work on this connection (including my old one) so I was thinking it had something to do with my computer, or windows 7 or something.

Could be your setting on the PC you're on? Maybe it's set to work offline on the browser? It could also be that you need to manually configure the connection from the router to the PC. Not totally sure though since I'm not good with networks :(.

Edit: Reading this reply on Yahoo! http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100308070528AALOCqh

It states to check your DNS settings, so I would suggest you check the DNS settings on the PC's that are working and compare it with yours to see if that helps solve the problem.

I really wish if people went through the trouble of signing up for a forum to ask a question they'd check it >:O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom