Networking/workgroup access problem.. help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawk_eyeBF2

Baseband Member
Hi, I've got a problem with the workgroup setup at my home. We have two computers, named BENJAMIN and OFFICE, both connected to the workgroup DEVON.

"BENJAMIN" connects through an internet gateway from OFFICE.
There is a DSL router with an incoming connection from the cable coming from the street, and then out goings to BENJAMIN, OFFICE and two wireless access points.

OFFICE has a printer connected to it, and so does BENJAMIN.
I am the administrator on both computers, and neither have passwords.

Everything works fine, I can see both computers shared files, and I have shared the hard drives.
I want to be able to print things from the printer attached to OFFICE, but from both computers.
I went through the network and printer setup wizards, but it still doesn't work.
When I look in the DEVON workgroup, I see two computers, OFFICE and BENJAMIN. When I double click on OFFICE, i get this error message:

//office is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the server to find out if you have access permission.

The network path was not found.

---------

I have changed the restrictanonymous registry key on both computers to 0 (under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ..... lsa)

I have enabled printer sharing/file sharing (and file sharing does work)

When I go to search for a printer on the network to add under the add printer wizard on BENJAMIN, I cannot see the printer under OFFICE.

I have enabled NETBIOS on both computers.

I have NOT enabled simple file sharing, because I CANNOT see that option under My Computer/tools/folder options/view..
The option should be:

(Tick box) Enable simple file sharing (recommended)

But it isn't listed under BOTH computers...

I have looked through countless google searches, but they all either end in the problem being solved by the regedit fix, or they require registration to see more answers..

Help?!

"BENJAMIN" connects through an internet gateway from OFFICE
Please clarify

you have dsl ?
you have a dsl modem ?
you have a dsl router ?
or do you have a dsl modem and router in one ?
how many lan ports do you have on the router ?
do you have a cat 5 cable going to each w/s , AP ?

MS home is not the best for networking,
you need to have a distinct logon account on each work station
you also need to have each others account on the other pc
so if you have pc1, mike as the logon and pc 2 logon as Sally, then pc1 also needs Sally and pc 2 needs mike. You also need a password for each and make sure the guest account is not disabled.
for password ease click start , then run, type [control userpasswords2 ] without the brackets, hit enter.
make sure you do not have sny firewalls up.
are using dhcp or static ip, ?

OK I have DSL, and a router.. I believe it has an inbuilt modem, but i'm not too sure.

It has 4 outgoing ports, and yes, cat 5 to each workstation.

As for the accounts, i'll try that, thankyou.

Oh, and yes, static IP.

Well I just added added accounts on both computers, so now it looks like this:

PC 1:
PC 1 Account
PC 2 Account

PC 2:
PC 2 Account
PC 1 Account

None of the accounts have a password, and the guest account is enabled on both computers, but i'm still having no joy..
In fact, I can't actually see the shared files between the computers.

Any idea why I can't see the option to turn on simple file sharing?

I think you need an account with the same username AND password on each computer. I think passwords are required, but not 100% sure.

Hmm.. Well I have both computers, OFFICE and BENJAMIN... on BOTH computers I have accounts called: Benjamin, Devon Hotel and Guest.
None of them are passworded..

I'll put passwords on them and see what happens.

OK I've enabled passwords, but it still doesn't work. I think i've found the problem though - Computer browser.
Computer browser is enabled under services on BENJAMIN, but it is not enabled under services on OFFICE. I've tried to start it, but I get an error message: (not exact)

"Computer browser started and the stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have nothing to do, such as performance logs and alerts."

I've looked all over the web, and on microsoft support, but can't find any help.
It has to be the computer browser.. either that or the Simple file sharing, which I STILL don't know how to enable. The **** option isn't even available!!

You have to have all accounts to have passwords , especially in home version and guest account has to be enabled. You need to have all the other acconts on each workstation, so if you have 5 workstations and there is one passworded logon account on each pc, then eack pc will end up with 5 accounts on it. So you end up adding 25 accounts, you see why microsoft does not recomend peer to peers greater that 10 workstations.

Sounds like you might have a backdoor trogan or have been hacked.
DL nd run this program, it is free for 30 days, after installing, config to update on startup, then close and start, then run
http://www.download.com/3000-2239-10025585.html?part=61661&subj=dlpage&tag=button

I've fixed the problem... the firewall on OFFICE was set to no exceptions, therefore preventing the Computer Browser service to start.. pretty simple really lol

Thanks for all your help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom