Networking Woes... Two Routers, One Network. Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeansBoy

Beta member
First of all, thank you for looking.

I need some help with my network. I have been trying to work the kinks out myself, but so far any progress I make only lasts a few hours. Here goes: I added another router and an xbox to my previous network (all hardwired, none of that wireless nonsense). With the addition of the extra router, the internet seems to work whenever it wants to on all ends. Cycling the power on the modem fixes this issue, but only for a short period of time. I have been looking for answers on my own and have come to the conclusion that I need to disable the DHCP or whatever that means on the second router. I also discovered that I have no idea what I am doing. I am a graphic design major, and have no problems with any other computer related issue. Networking just seems to be a bit too much for me. Heres a visual guide to my network.

Modem -> Router A (Linksys BEFSX41) -> Computer A, Router B (BEFSR41) -> Computer B, XBOX

*Computer A is a Dell Dimension PC running XP
*Computer B is a Compaq Presario also running XP

Computer A Information
---------------------------------------------
Physical Address: 00-07-E9-84-5D-02
IP Address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server: 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained: 3/17/2005 2:47:05 PM
Lease Expires: 3/18/2005 2:47:05 PM
DNS Servers: 68.87.64.196, 68.87.66.196

Computer B Information
---------------------------------------------
I couldnt find the Ip address etc.

Again, thank you for your time.

I would definitely disable DHCP/NAT on the 2nd router. Otherwise it'll only cause headaches.

Any reason you have 2 routers rather than a router and a switch? (Not trying to make you feel stupid, just curious)

If its possible, I would recommend replacing the 2nd router with a switch.

Your setup:

Modem -> Router A (Linksys BEFSX41) -> Computer A, Router B (BEFSR41) -> Computer B, XBOX

I interpret this as Router to PC: PC to 2nd router....

Try this:

Connect Router B to Router A (Router A connects to the Modem). You will have to leave the port adjacent to the port that Router B is connected to open.

I have a Linksys network and I ran into similar problems. The solution above solved the issues permanently.

Check the Linksys manual for a more detailed descripion.

Then network your hardware to the desired routers.

Note: The port adjacent to the uplink/downlink to the Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom