Networking and wireless help

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtop1

Beta member
I have a compaq P3 running W98. I have dsl service. It works great. I recently bought a used Dell Inspiron 8200 with WinXP and a P4. I bought it because it was selling as "wireless". It has a 3Com 3C920 Intergrated Fast Ethernet Controller. All I want to do is to be able to take the laptop from one room in the house to the other with no wires, and I can't figure it out or even if it can be done. Am I missing something? Thanks for your help.
Mike

you need to hook up the router to at least one computer, than you can use the wireless on your laptop.

hi there

what you need to do is buy a wireless router,

the wireless router split the internet connection with other computer in the home wired or wireless. but remeber to buy a wireless router and not a wired.

if you decided you dont to buy your router because of affordability then a cheap way to save money is by ICS (internet connection sharing), this is a feature built in windows xp which allows your Pentium 3 pc to share its internet connection through a wire or wireless. but in your case you need to buy a wireless ethernet card for you desktop. but only one downside to this is that you well need to have your computer running just to surf the net on your laptop. i suggest you invest in a router it saves alot of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom