Networking two machines Win7 and Win XP

Please don't post your public IP. If somebody wanted to, that's how they can attack your network from over the internet.

THANKS for warning me!

A 169.x.x.x address means that it could not get a proper IP. Is your switch hooked up to your router or the internet at all?

No the Ethernet switch is not hooked to router or Internet. (I want to make my network safe from possible intrusions, just in case if...)

You need to setup permissions. Right click the folder on the Win7 machine you want to share -> Properties -> Sharing tab -> Advanced sharing -> check 'Share this folder' -> click Permissions -> make sure "Everyone" has Full Control permissions.

Great! Now WinXP saves the file! You must be a genius! It's obvious, but I had only done "share this folder". But on the other side now Win7 opens it a a ""Read only" and can't save!

You also need to setup File and Printer sharing on WinXP. Brief overview: Networking home computers running different versions of Windows - Windows Help

You need to have an IP address for both systems before they can do any kind of networked activity. If your switch is connected to a router, it should give out IP's automatically. So is your switch just sitting standalone, or is it hooked up to your router/modem?

No the Ethernet switch sits standalone as I said above.

So I'll read more about those IP addresses and will come back soon.
Thanks for throwing light!

No problem.

No the Ethernet switch is not hooked to router or Internet. (I want to make my network safe from possible intrusions, just in case if...)

But you're already connected to the internet via your router with both systems, right? Not much point in separating the switch off of your network at that point...

If you're already hooked up over wifi on the same network, you can transfer files that way still. Unless you wanting to transfer a lot of large files, that is. Then Ethernet would be a better way to go.

But you're already connected to the internet via your router with both systems, right?

If you're already hooked up over wifi on the same network, you can transfer files that way still. Unless you wanting to transfer a lot of large files, that is. Then Ethernet would be a better way to go.

True, but I have large and important files to transfer and constantly. So the Ethernet solution is imposed.

(But... at the moment I've got another unexpected problem that I need to solve...) :-(

This might help https://www.mediafire.com/ use the desktop feature.
Been using it for a long time, networked or not.

That would take longer and IMO not be a good solution. You'd have to upload to Mediafire, then download off of mediafire. So if you're dealing with secure content, putting it out on the web is one of the last things you'd want to do - not to mention it would be faster to just transfer locally over wireless even.

Could I see an example please with the type of cabling and speed type you would use ?

Erm, any standard networking equipment lol..

Optimally:
For ethernet, standard Cat5e (or Cat6 cable), preferably on a router or switch that has gigabit ports.

For wireless, a router/wireless card that supports 300mbit transfer rates.

I transfer large files over my network from my laptop to my server over wifi all the time. My server is hooked up via gigabit to the router, and laptop is connected to 5GHz 300mbit wifi. 4GB+ ISO in a couple minutes over wifi I believe.

Would take MUCH longer to upload that file to Mediafire, and then download it off of their servers.

Erm, any standard networking equipment lol..
Would take MUCH longer to upload that file to Mediafire, and then download it off of their servers.

No it wouldn't define how long based on you'res mine and his internet connection.
You remember that vista iso I hosted up awhile back ? took less than 60 seconds on my comcast cable internet to upload and download.
With their tool its like drop box but less complications and security fouls up he could throw files back and forth.
If he had a good isp cable/dsl provider like att depending on what he uploads it wouldn't take long at all.

S0 for wireless what do you recommend personally ?
I still think he should avoid doing cabling especially if he stairs in the house.
Heres something that would benefit him if he did wireless.
Set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network - Windows Help

I'll admit I really havent had a need to use this much at all.
With windows file share folder and proper configuration...
If I were to unplug the ethernet code from my compute...
My mothers tablet her main machine, my android would be able to still access whatever file on my c drive I am sharing..

He has many options if he would steer clear of cabling.
Try having someone or something screw up your cable by walking or moving a door/object into it and ruin the cabling ? :/

Last edited:
No it wouldn't define how long based on you'res mine and his internet connection.
You remember that vista iso I hosted up awhile back ? took less than 60 seconds on my comcast cable internet to upload and download.
Assuming slightly longer to upload than download since upload is usually much less than download... say even 40s upload and a 4GB ISO - that would mean you'd have just over 100MB/s (800Mbit) upload speed. I don't believe that lol. On average you'd have 4-6Mbps upload. 20Mbit if you're on their highest tier.

S0 for wireless what do you recommend personally ?
Already mentioned that in my previous post.

I still think he should avoid doing cabling especially if he stairs in the house.
Heres something that would benefit him if he did wireless.
Set up a computer-to-computer (ad hoc) network - Windows Help
Hardwire is going to be faster/more reliable than wireless. Not as "convenient" for portability, but will be faster.

I'll admit I really havent had a need to use this much at all.
With windows file share folder and proper configuration...
If I were to unplug the ethernet code from my compute...
My mothers tablet her main machine, my android would be able to still access whatever file on my c drive I am sharing..
This is all I have setup - folder permissions on a Workgroup for all my computers. I use ES File Explorer's LAN option to connect to my server to get files off of it if I need to.

He has many options if he would steer clear of cabling.
Try having someone or something screw up your cable by walking or moving a door/object into it and ruin the cabling ? :/

You can buy cable guards off of Amazon for fairly cheap that would prevent that.

Hardwire is going to be faster/more reliable than wireless. Not as "convenient" for portability, but will be faster.

This is all I have setup - folder permissions on a Workgroup for all my computers. I use ES File Explorer's LAN option to connect to my server to get files off of it if I need to.

You can buy cable guards off of Amazon for fairly cheap that would prevent that.

Maybe but I still stand by wireless given the reasons and recommendations I stated.
I'll leave it that for now, he'll just have to see whats better given his current situation.

Back
Top Bottom