Networking Trendnet Wireless N router

Status
Not open for further replies.

callmestupid

Beta member
Trendnet TEW-633GR Wireless N router problem installation. I recently purchased one of these routers. To connect two computers. To each other and to the Internet.

Computer 1 is a Pentium 3 1.0 GH processor with Windows XP Pro SP2. There is 512 MB memory in this machine. There is a D-Link DEG-530T 10/100/1000 NIC card installed

Computer 2 is an AMD Phenom (tm) 9500 Quad Core Processor at 2.2 GH, 8 GB memory, running Ubunto 8.10(intrepid), Kernel Linux 2.6.27-11-generic, Gnome 2.24.1. This is on an MSI K9N SLI v2 motherboard with a 10/100/1000 NIC card built into the motherboard.

We were using WiFi Wireless GT cards to access the Internet prior to purchase of the router. These locked on the strongest signal.

Router seamed to install on the XP computer but would not lock onto a WiFi signal. Will not recognize the other computer. Advertising on Trendnet site says there are Linux Drivers but CD which came with the Router seems to only have Windows drivers on it. Have run the gantlet of windows networking programs trying to get this to work on at least one of the computers. No Luck.

I called tech support, ha, ha, ha. I was told that since I do not have either a Cable or DSL IP The router can not be setup.

About ready to return to seller as unusable. Why should I have to purchase either a cable or DSL connection to set this up. Both Cable and DSL are the slowest links.

I am fed up with Microsoft and am attempting to break free of their grip. But still have programs which only run in windows. I refuse to upgrade to Vista (I can't see that from here) I could use some additional help with some other Linux issues as well, but need to get back on line first. Can anyone help? Started computing in MS-DOS 3 back in the pre-windows era. So understand some basic OS concepts.

CallMeStupid

it sounds like each machine has a wired and wireless connection correct?

Router seamed to install on the XP computer but would not lock onto a WiFi signal. Will not recognize the other computer.

you will not be able to see the linux pc until drivers are installed.

on the xp pc, open network connections in the control panel. look for wireless connection. double click the icon. click view wireless networks. does the network appear in the list? if not, you can try performing a factory reset on the router. look for a pin hole and poke it with a paper clip. hold for about 10 seconds and look for the leds to light up in sequence.

Yes with router ther is both wireless and wired to each computer. The only wireless access is thru the router which is wired to each computer thru the LAN.

Friends computer recognizes my wireless network. but I have not been able to get the connection on my machine. I have managed to see that computer to computer thru the router is connected now. So I have made some progress.

I am on a friends computer to post these msgs will go try what you have suggested will post again after that is completed. Maybe tomorrow before I get back.

Callmestupid

Followed instructions and still did not work also tried a couple more things which also which also did not work. With your instructions I had a screen with Internet GatewayNext line was Internet Connection, next line was Disabled, Next line was Internet Connection. I saw a prompt to enable and clicked that and it would connect and then immediately return to disabled.

callmestupid

with the instructions given, what steps did you perform and what did the system do that wasn't described?

i can't think of any senario where internet gatway and internet connection would appear in xp. what did you do to get to this screen?

as for the item going disabled, you can check the event viewer for error messages. right click my computer > click manage. then expand event viewer. select system log and open the entries. do the same for application log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom