Networking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul89

Baseband Member
I would like to know if it is possible to set up my home network like so:

Cable Modem
|
Network Switch (Linksys EtherFast® 10/100 5ports)
| \
PC1 PC2
|
Wireless Access Point (D-Link -524 Hight Speed Wireless Router)
| \
PC3 PC4

if this is possible how would i go about setting it all up? any help would greatly be appreciated... the reason i cant set up the wireless ap from the cable modem is that it doesnt reach pc3 and pc4, they are too far from the access point to recieve any signal, im hoping i can just use the things that i have and dont have to buy anthing else for the network...

thanks

I'm not too sharp when it comes to networking, but I did just set one up for myself.

I think that the Wireless Access Point will attach directly to your Network Switch. I also believe that if you are going to use an uplink to another switch or hub, that the downlink next to it must remain empty, this means a minimum of 5 ports.

If you are using Windows, check the website, or try here:

http://www.homenethelp.com/

Good luck!

Just using a switch won't get all your PC's on the internet. They will be able to communicate with each other, but not over the 'net. You have to put the router between the cable modem and the switch. WIth the setup you have, only one PC will get an IP address from the cable modem. You CAN share an internet connection, but you need 2 NIC's in one PC and it is a hassle in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom