Networking problems-Can't see other computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammyham

Baseband Member
I just bought Linksys BEFSR41 router. I have two computers hooked up to it using a dsl connection. Internet works fine. My problem is, the first computer can't see the second computer, and the second computer CAN see the first computer, but can't access its files.. Given error saying I don't have permission. Any help? Thanks... I'm new to networking.

Hi hammyham,

What you need to do is on the first computer you need to go to My Computer and right click on the C: drive and select the sharing option and choose share this folder. Then I would try (on the first computer) going to My Network Places and at the top click search. Then at the left of the screen a window will pop up and ask you for the computer name to search for. Type in the second computers name exactly as it is. Hopefully it will find it then.

I hope this helps

Thanks. I've done that on both computers, enabling C drive to be shared. Then I did the search for the second computer, found it and when i double click it it says "Bob (second comp.) is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact administrator blah blah... The Network path was not found"

I'm stumped.

Have you tried turning it off or setting it to allow the direct connection. This is a problem i ran into. Because I too have zonealarm and I had to set it to allow the connection. May have to place the I.P. address of the other computer in the trusted zone of zonealarm.

Alright that pretty much worked... Thanks. Now how do I add the IP to ZA's safe list?

open zonealarm and click the firewall tab at the left. Then at the top click on the zone tab. Now at the bottom right click on ADD and choose IP Address. Then choose trusted zone, put the IP in and give it a name so you recognize it and your good to go. Let me know if ya run into any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom