networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
Recently, I plan to share the (broadband) internet access in my home using windows XP in both.I bought a hub and the RJ 45 cables.Then I configured my computer with

IP address 192.168.0.1
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
preferred dns 192.168.1.1

the other computer i am trying to share the internes access is configured as

IP address 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
default gateway 192.168.0.1
preffered dns 192.168.1.1

When I do lukeback both computer are okay.And when i ping each other my computer IP address 192.168.0.1 ping the other one. But when I ping to mine from other IP address 192.168.0.2. It says timeout error. As i try to access the internet from other IP address 192.168.0.2 . The browser strat to progress and says connection failed.

how could i solve this? would be much appreceated and thanks in advance for help

You are using a hub and have static IPs assigned to your machine. The broadband sends out an IP that it uses to comunicate back and forth with the computer on the other end. The hub will allow that IP to go to one machine. And since you have a static assigned, you won't even get that. The problem is the hub. You need to get a router of some kind that can gain an IP and then send out different IPs to connected machines.
You can also enable ICS as that will take care of the problem more or less...
Good luck.

Using a hub, will not work to get both machine on the internet, you will need a router. If you can not ping the other machine, if you use XP, when you first setup ip address it install the built in firewall, check you advanced options, and turn it off.

One other option,, probably cheaper, is to put a second NIC into the Primary XP box..

This will then allow your PC to act as a "router" so to speak, you plug your broadband into the 1st NIC, and let it do its thing,,

You then run a cable from the second NIC to the Hub,, then your pcs to the hub,,

Assign your static IPs, and leave the gateway blank,,,

Little bit of tinkering,, and off you go,,

cheers

I beleive that we can share the broadband connection from the hub,

when i see the ipconfig/all of the client says

IP routing enabled...............................no
WINS proxy enabled............................no

So if this is the case. Then can I share modem's dial up connection??

I think crashbot's suggestion 's great ...
But since u already have a hub ..it doesn't matter ... Also .. u don't need to assign static IP's .. U can leave it on DHCP

Just run Xp's networking wizard on both systems ..n' u be up n' running ..
ICS is good enough .. though even i would suggest sygate..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom