networking prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

lev2323

In Runtime
I have a linksys wireless router and I am trying to set up a network for file sharing between comps and printer sharing. I did this somewhere else with a normal linksys router in the past but can't do it now. I think the prob is that one comp is win2k and the other is winxp home. Is a network between comps with different OS's possible?

Do you have the Printer and File sharing service installed on the active network cards, in properties?

Thats the thing....on the Win2k comp (not mine), you can not assign a network id and there is no sharing service in the box in properties. This is strange to me, because on my comp (also W2k) you can do all that stuff.

If there is no share service box, may be the service is not installed.
In control Panel -> Network and Dial-up Connections ->
Right click on the LocalNetwork Icon and select properties.

See if there is a "File And Printer Sharing for Microdof Networks"
If you can't locate it - Click Install and install it....

(You need both PC to be under 1 Subnet mask and IP range)
In the same window, double click "Internet Protocl(TCP/IP)
and add IP address like 192.168.0.1 subMask 255.255.255.0
Do same with the second PC but for it set IP 192.168.0.2 SubMask
(This is if there is no DHCP Server which to asign IP to the PCs)

After this changes restart both PCs
this should work

What is strange for me is that you no need WireLess Router to share Files.
Unless the router have 3-4 ports for LocalNet in the back and
you can use it like switch...

i dont think i can blame the router (myself probably) but i had 2 comps hooked to a linksys wireless router (WRT54G) with ethernet cables and one hooked wirelessly and printsharing and all the shared docs folders worked great for a week....cant seem to get them to work anymore but im sort of n00bish...most likely cause is other people screwin settings up but who knows......so basically, it is possible with the router....you've just gotta be smarter than myself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom