Networking a printer with an ADSL MODEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I have got a speedtouch 510 MODEM. It has got four ethernet ports
i was wondering if it was possible to attach an ethernet based printer into one of it's ports.

If it is, then would this printer be visible to the rest of the universe, and could a hacker print on my printer while i was asleep

As long as you have a print server, yes you can do it.

And, NO, your printer will not be visible to the rest of the universe (Unless you specify who can access it)

Just as an FYI,

A print server (not to be confused with a server providing shared printers to the network) is a device with a network inteface on one end and a parallel/usb interface on the other. You simply plug your printer onto the print server and that converts the parallel/ust connection to an ethernet accessible device.

Unless you buy a printer with an integrated NIC. (Ex. HP Laser Jet 4200N - N means it has the NIC installed already)
Then, you just plug the printer into your data drop and install via a server/PC.

is it better to have an ethernet based printer or a usb based one

also is a inkjet is better than a laserjet

and should i go for a combo printer,scanner, copier or seperate devices, some one told me that the combos are not that reliable

i believe a combo printer is more combinient due to the fact that you can do multiple task from one single machine, but if it breaks down then you wont be able to use any of its features. in the other side if you buy everything separately and one device breaks down the other devices won't be affected. also i'm not sure about this but it may be even more expensive to buy everything separately.
i personaly believe that is all about what is more combinient for the user.

by the way i just bought a combo printer at stapples, is a
brother mfc-3420cn for $140.00 but it has a $30.00 mail in rebate.
hopefully it wasn't a bad deal!

As Holocron said, no it wont be visible unless you tell it to be.

now as for what is better a USB or an Ethernet based printer. Well each has advantages and disadvantages. Biggest is cost, Usually a USB based printer will be substantially cheaper then a Ethernet based printer. Both can be networked (shared) the difference is that the USB needs to be plugged directly into the back (or Front) of the computer to the USB port, the Ethernet printer can be anywhere on your network. Both will need a print server to spool the print job.

In my experience a combo printer/fax/copier Are quite troublesome, if the fax worked it didn't print right, if the copier worked the fax had issues... stuff like that. I have always been a big fan of components rather then one big piece. the convenience factor is lost however in having a separate fax, copier and printer... Just like with a high end stereo system, if you buy the pieces separately, you will be able to get better quality then if you buy one big unit. (not including Bose)

as I see one manufacture may make a good quality fax, but they may not make the best printer for the money....

that is just my opinion though.. If you are tight with space, and really need a fax AND a printer AND a scanner AND a copier, the a combo may be for you...

but don't forget your computer can send AND receive faxes... how much do you really need to copy... can't you go to the nearest 7-11 and pay the $ .10 per copy. I would pool the money and buy a nice higher quality printer thqt can also print phot quality... that is what you are going to use the most anyway.......

sorry to ramble on.... as eveything else in life you must do what works best for you....

can you suggest a good printer in the 150 dollar range

what i thought was, if i get a scanner + printer or a seperate scanner and a seperate printer. i could use the scanner to scan the image and then print it out. so i really do not need a copier.

I ended up, supriingly enough, with a Canon Printer.

I went to shopping around, online and in stores for a good HP printer to print photos. I started to compare prices, Speed (color and B&WE, DPI printout quality... all that stuff and i decided on a Canon i860.

It wasn't that fastest print speed, prints a very nice qualituy 4x6 photo in highest quality in about 1-1.5 minute. The quality is outstanding.

I still believe HP makes better printers, this one just fit my needs at the time i was looking to buy a printer.

It was about $160 when i boughtit, but looking online now i see the pricerange is about 130-150.

the price of printers have gone down substantialy in the past few years, i notice that most printers will print very good quality, the price difference these days it seems is how fast that printer will print that full color page.
You pay for speed now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom