Networking a printer

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller345

Beta member
I'm planning on buying a laser printer which I would like to connect to two computers, both of which run XP and use a wireless network. I would like to be able to print off it when both computers are turned on and when only one of them is on. How would I network this? Does this rule out using the printer sharing option on XP?

if you can connect your printer to the router or hub that would be ideal...i've got mine shared over the network, but it's hooked up to a computer...i'm not sure if i can print while the host computer is off...i don't think that i've ever tried....the damn thing never get's turned off....but i'm assuming no cause it needs to go though that computer in order to print.

Get a print server. Runs about $80 for wired, a little more for wireless. And is GREAT! We have one for our printer and it means we don't have to have a computer on to have the printer available. Liz

Thanks for your answers. The print server seems like the best idea - I can't connect the printer to the router.

How easy is this to do though? My network runs with 128-bit WEP encryption and a hidden SSID, and I also change its channel every few weeks (there is a choice of 13!). Is it easy enough to configure the print server to my network with these kinds of settings or would I have to compromise the security?

setting up the print server should be easy enough. Its just like adding another computer to your network. Its an always on device that contains a queue for the printer. I don't see security being a problem with this.

miller345 said:
Thanks for your answers. The print server seems like the best idea - I can't connect the printer to the router.

How easy is this to do though? My network runs with 128-bit WEP encryption and a hidden SSID, and I also change its channel every few weeks (there is a choice of 13!). Is it easy enough to configure the print server to my network with these kinds of settings or would I have to compromise the security?

Setting up a print server is very easy to do. You basically configue it the same way you do the router. So if you setup your wireless network this will be cake for you. It has a "web interface config page" as well as a piece of software that comes with the print server.

You plug the printer via parellel/USB cable into the print server, then plug in a live network wire from your router into the print server, plug in the power and configue the router via the web interface. It usually comes with a default IP address/subnet mask that you must of course change to match your current network settings. Since it will be hard wired there is no need to enter WEP settings or keys unless you decide to get a wireless print server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom