networking pc and laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

saspinall

Baseband Member
My daughter received an old laptop for xmas from her uncle, it's quite old P166 etc but she only needs MS Word etc. She has asked if it could be used on the internet. My PC downstairs has 1Mb internet through external usb modem and I have a network card installed. She also has a network card for the laptop. Whats the best way to network and be able to share the internet connection bearing in mind she will be upstairs and my pc is downstairs.
Thanks

Stuart

To make use of the network cards you would need to run cables from one room to the other and use Internet Connection Sharing. Thats if you dont want to buy anymore equipment

The problem is the USB modem, most routers both wireless and wired need an RJ45 connection from modem. Does your modem allow both ethernet and USB? If so its best to utilize the ethernet (its faster anyway). Then get a wireless router. Most wireless routers include 4 ports as well. Run ethernet cable from modem to wireless router wan port. Then run ethernet cable from port on wireless router to the network card on your computer then you would need get a wireless network adapter for the laptop either pcmcia or usb (usb is easier). After that you should be good to go.

Ohhhh, with a laptop that old I wouldn't use USB (it is not 2.0). Buy a notebook adapter (pcmcia) don't really see that acronym too often anymore. Hook yours to a wireless router via ethernet and you will be good to go. Of course if you don't want yours near the router, all you have to do is have the cable modem and router near each other and then you can use a pci card to make yours wireless also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom