Networking Novice

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkjazz99

Solid State Member
Good Day All,

I am new to this forum, and fairly new to the world of networking in general.

I am looking to create a wireless network between my two computers (desktop running Windows XP, Laptop running Vista). I have a Netgear router which both computers connect to wirelessly. At this point, there is no computer wired directly to the modem.

Just wondering if you guys can shed some light on networking these two computers together for the purposes of file and printer sharing. I do have some basic networking knowledge and have tried setting up the network via the control panel, but I am not sure if I'm going about it the right way.

Any info you guys could offer would be great.

Thanks

Drew

Is your printer connected wirelessly to the router, or is is cable connected?

Good Day All,
Just wondering if you guys can shed some light on networking these two computers together for the purposes of file and printer sharing. I do have some basic networking knowledge and have tried setting up the network via the control panel, but I am not sure if I'm going about it the right way.

We cannot printer share if no printer is connected ;)

I am guessing you just need to run the network setup wizard. Be sure they are both in the same workgroup. Not sure how Vista does it however.

Vista will detect any PC in the area as long as both PC's have the Network name or WORKGROUP. There is a Network manager that you can use to setup the network jsut like you can in XP. But as Tkey said you cant share a printer if you don't have one. You will only be able to share files.

I actually wrote an article about this that you can read here there are several little tricks that have to be done to make XP and Vista play nice and they are all outlined in that article. Try those and it you still can't get them to see each other let me know.

Thanks for your help guys. I will try your suggestions and get back to you. Regarding the printer, I was considering getting a network printer sometime in the near future, which is why I mentioned it in the beginning.

I'll let you know how this works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom