networking machines using a ADSL router

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I have got two machines plugged into a four port ADSL router, can you tell me how to view the contents of one machine from the other, if possible.

Are you trying to view shared resources from one computer to the next while both are connected to the router?

-Mike

I have got Windows XP and plan to install Mandrake 8.1 on one computer

I have got Windows Xp, Windows 98 on the other computer. I also plan to install Mandrake 8.1 on the other computer

Lets start off with the Router.

It's is a Dedicated Router or a Router with Switch?

If it's just a router, then I would like to know where you picked up that relic from?

Dedicated Router will just provided internet sharing. NOTHING MORE!
(My sister has one of these and it drives me nucking futs when I go over there with my computer.)

Router with Switch will allow you to contect and the other computer together in the same network and share internet.

Just a quick FYI,

Sharing files between Microsoft OS's won't be too much of a problem. Obviously the newer OS's will read the older without difficulty once a solid workgroup has been created.

The file sharing with the linux partitions will be a little more tricky, you will have to create a few partitions on your hard drive (unless you have more than one physical drive) Preferably one for windows, one for linux and one for shared files.

This is assuming you are dual booting the PC with Windows and linux.

It is definitely a good project to work on.

i dont't know which version of the MODEM i have?
i will have to check with my provider, who sold me the MODEM

what is the next step dudes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom