networking at home

Status
Not open for further replies.

heffer

In Runtime
both my computers are using windows xp home and are connected to a linksys 802.11g 54mbps router without connecting to the internet. when i transfer one file from pc A wirelessly thru the router to pc B which is connected via ethernet, the speed is only around 20mbps using windows network file sharing. pc A supports 54mbps with a perfect connection and pc B's network card supports 100mbps so why is it so slow? is there a way to tweak the speed?

heffer said:
both my computers are using windows xp home and are connected to a linksys 802.11g 54mbps router without connecting to the internet. when i transfer one file from pc A wirelessly thru the router to pc B which is connected via ethernet, the speed is only around 20mbps using windows network file sharing. pc A supports 54mbps with a perfect connection and pc B's network card supports 100mbps so why is it so slow? is there a way to tweak the speed?

You have to realize that connection speeds are measure in bits and transfer from hard drive are measure in bytes. 54 Megabits per second and 100 Megabits per second. Take 100/8 = 12.5MBps or 12.5 MegaBytes per second, so actually you are transfering at 100Mbps but transfer speed measure it in bytes.

Also, wireless connection speed depends on many variable, so you're not going to get 54Mbps connection, you could be getting 20Mbps depending your distance to the access point.

Also, even though PCB is running at 100Mbps, PCA can only go so fast and is restricted by it's 54Mbps wireless speed or lower since wireless connection are usually unreliable and speed can vary often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom