Networking Help Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SureShot

Baseband Member
I have sbc yahoo dsl internet service and i have a linksys hub/ router.. or whatever you want to call it.. and my friend is over with his computer and we want to connect both of them.. we thought just hooking it into the hub would work.. but the other computer is getting no internet....

how do we configure this so we can both be on the internet..

thanks, eric

Hm...It should work. Are you sure a CAT5 cable is plugged from the internet(wall) into the "uplink" port of the router? Also, try making sure that the port that isnt giving internet is working and not just a faulty port. Just switch around the cables.

If there isnt a light isnt lit on the front of the hub, check that you dont have a faulty CAT5 cable and that you are in the same set of ports that your (internet working) pc is connected to on the hub. If it still doesnt work, try plugging the CAT5 cable from your friends pc into the same port as your pc is plugged into.

Also check that your friends NIC is set to "Assign IP Adress Automatically" in the NIC connection properties (right click my network places, select the LAN connection, click properties then select TCP/IP and click properties)

Sureshot, we have to know whether what you have is a hub or a router first. Even if it is a "combination" router with 4 port hub.....consider it a router.....

Here's why:
a hub only connects computers on a physical layer. it's essentially the same as splicing the two pieces of cat5 together. It just lets the electricity they use to communicate get to the other computer.

A ROUTER on the other hand is a MUCH more intelligent device. If you have a router, it should be handing out what are called DHCP (dynamic host configuration protocol) addresses. These are IP addys from a pool of IP addys you designated.

ALSO, the router provides a little service called NAT (network address translation) which hides all of your local machines (you and your buddy) from your ISP. ISP's keep track of who is connected to them by MAC (media access control) address which is burned into the hardware of every NIC (network interface card). NAT makes it look like everything coming into your network (you and your buddy) is only coming to one machine (which it is....your router) by maintaining a public IP addy on it's internet port, and then handing over the information to the machine on the local network that asked for the info.

here's the kicker: if you're only using a hub, then your ISP will have YOUR COMPUTERS MAC registered, and no one but you will be able to access the internet on your home network unless you're running win 2k or higher and ICS (internet connection sharing) with your buddy configured to use you to get him out to the internet. In this case, you're just acting like the router described above.

Hope this helps, home networking can get.....interesting. ;)

You can also download a free utility called iproxy ( ithunk) from analogx .com. If you run this proxy on your PC as a proxy server your friend can then piggyback off your IP address into the internet without a problem. I have tried it and it works for multiple PC's. Is it illegal...your ISP would say so, Is it ethical...who gives a suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom