networking help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
well most of you know I am pretty much a noob when it comes to networking, i know the basics, that's about it.. So i need some help. I have 3 computers that will be connecting to the network at the moment. 2 via wireless and one Ethernet. I have a modem with built in wireless capabilities, but it kinda sucks, so i picked up a wireless n router. To configure the router i need the static ip, dns server, ect information. When I was configuring the router it asked for it and said to contact your isp for the information. I emailed them 4 days ago and they still have not got back to me, so is there a way i can just get the information my self? Also, i want the computers to be able to share files and be able to play lan games. (when i tried to get that to work with the internet as well just with Ethernet cables i could only get one to work at a time, when i switched the ip's ect. internet would not work, when i switched it back to auto assign the internet worked but no gaming or file sharing for the computers on the network. So i could use some help. Step by step instructions would be nice.Thanks.

can you post the make and model of the router? I'm surprised the router requires a static ip.

typically, isps only allow dhcp to configure ip information for residential customers. a static ip usually costs more and requires a specific package.

I'd call the isp's customer service. you will prolly need to know information about the person who is billed for the account.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom