Networking Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawmaterial

In Runtime
Rundown:

-HP Pavilion a330n
-computer couldn't connect to the Internet at friends house with DSL connection. they got a new modem, same thing. however, both their laptop and mines works when plugged in to the modem.
-i did basic test and configuration but it would not get an IP address no matter what i did.
-took his PC to my house and decided to reinstall the OS since he had a lot of crap on there anyways.
-problem still remains when trying to use my road runner connection at home.

Things I have tried so far, with no luck:
-reinstalled drivers for all components directly from HP
-ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew
-tried using different ethernet cable
-have successfully pinged my loopback address, so my IP stack is not a problem
-configured it with static information for my network.
-could not ping even my router, 192.168.1.1
-couldn't access my router's configuration page
-restarted both my modem and router

Majority of the times, I would not get any address at all, just all zeroes, but after trying to renew it, it would always time out and assign me the private address of 169.x.x.x, which is telling me that I can't connect to a DHCP server. really weird since i have both reformatted the computer with both XP Home and XP Professional, with the same results. the light in the back of the connector lights up so I'm sure its getting power.

How about just set the IP and network information manually, and then use "ipconfig" to make sure it's set? Then ping loopback and the IP. See whether it works.. After that proceed to ping other computers.

I also recommend you to disable the firewall temporary and use wired connection instead of wireless connnection till you solved the issue.

picoHat
Home Network, Wireless Network and Computer Networking Made Easy

Try pinging 127.0.0.1..... if you have issues doing that, then there is an issue with the TCP/IP stack... as previously mentioned, have you tried a new NIC card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom