Networking hard wire to router and wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynenwendy

Beta member
Hi,

Can anyone help me please.

I have two pc's a main one to which i have hard wired to a router conected and my broadband conceted to that.

The other is wireless.

Both PCs conect to the internet perfectly all the time.

What I don't seem to be able to do is network the Pc's so that I can share resources such as printers and hard drive space.

Can anyone give me an idot guide on what I need to do to get the two pc's communicating please.

I know the IP's of the router, PC1 and PC2.

I never had this problem when I have had hard wired networks, but decorated and dont want cables everywhere or to lay the cables under the floor, but still want to share printers etc.

Thanks

Wayne

hmmm

I had tried something similar before and had no success.

Tried following the things listed, and still no joy.

Any other ideas?

To share the printer just right click the printer and chose sharing.Give the right permissions and then page into it from my networkplaces.Same for the hard drive.Or page into it \\<computername>\<printername> in the run command.

If you have a software firewall as with windows xp,you may have some problems sharing hardware unless you go to the firewall and make exceptions for your LAN

Windows XP pro on PC connected by RJ45 to router which is conected to modem.

PC ---- RJ45-----Router---RJ45----Modem (windows XP pro)

wireless

PC----wireless (windows XP home)

Router and wireless both Belkin, in the routers setup you can see both computers.

It has to be something simple, as all the documentation I have seen says so, so what am I doing wrong.

Thanks for staying with me on this.

If theres any information you require in order to help me please state what it is you requiore and where I would that information if its hidden in the pc somewhere.

Network to share resources I cant do. Error is cant access server see adminstrator. (words to that effect).

Yet both systems are connected to internet no problems at all, just computer to computer is the problem

THanks Wayne

what i did was, run the network wizard on both named the workgroup the same on both, but i used static ip's, i got the dns ip from the router as this is what was given to access/set the router up for the internet, that worked fine, then i had problems just using tcp/ip i could not see all/any other pc's, so i added ipx/spx and bingo i could see all pc's on the network. ive always had a problem with xp at home for networks, i found it easier to setup in 2000. then setup your shares with full control, well thats what i set mine too, hope this helps in any way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom