Networking & gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonja81

Beta member
My husband and his friend are trying to network two desktops together so that they can play a compuer game against each other. They bought a U.S. Robotics 5-port 10/100 Ethernet Switch and ran all the appropriate cables. However, on one of the computers it keeps saying the IP addresses are conflicting...why would that matter if all they want to do is game against each other? Any suggestions?

They should have bought a router, not a switch. A router gives out IP addresses, a switch doesn't. Don't worry though, because you can still make this work by assigning static IP addresses to each computer. Assuming you're using Windows XP, right click on "My Network Places" and select "Properties". Then right click on the icon that represents the ethernet card you have, and select "Properties". Then select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and select "Properties". Check, "Use the following IP address" and put:

IP address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: <leave blank in this situation>

Do the same for the other computer except enter the IP address as "192.168.0.2". This should work for gaming. If this doesn't work, make sure both computers are on the same workgroup.

Obtruse is correct about buying a router and it will fix your problem. He is also correct about assinging IP's, but the problem lies in the fact that someone has already assigned the same IP to both adapters. this is more F.Y.I. but if you have windows 'automatically assign an IP' a thing called APIPA (automatic private IP addressing) kicks in and gives the adapters a pre-designated IP starting with 169.254.X.X . Windows will make sure that no 2 computers on the network have the same IP. So Now you have two options.

OK, we tried that and it still gave us the conflicting IP error message. :\ How do we make sure we're in the same workgroup? I talked to a tech rep from my ISP and they gave me some info and then said I'd have to contact U.S. Robotics (the manufacturer of our switch) to configure it. Too bad we can't get ahold of them until Monday. :(

Dedub you said we had 2 options...what would that be?

your two options are:

1. statically assign different IP's to both computers under TCP/IP properties 'Use the following IP'

2. Let windows assign an IP by selecting 'Obtain an IP automatically' under the same properties.

you can put the computers in the same workgroup by right clicking the 'My Computer' icon on the desktop, selecting properties and then going to the Computer Name tab. There you will also find you can change the computer name (which also has to be different than the other computer)

good luck

Option 2 won't work, he doesn't have a DHCP server. He just has a layer 2 switch so he has to staticly assign the ip address to each computer just like obtruse_man4 said. Then put yourself into the same workgroup and if your running a firewall then configure it or disable it to allow the game to be hosted and connected.

You wouldn't get the same message if you did it correctly, go into your network connection,TCP\IP properties and manually enter in the IP address of your choice and click ok then do the same for the second computer but with the number after the first one.

Law, I beg to differ. Option 2 will work. Look up APIPA. As long as windows detects a connection it will assign an IP to the NIC card. If there is no DHCP server that is. If windows does not find a server it provides an IP to the card. 169.254.X.X and is a class B. Its been around since Win98. From there the person could do an IP config to find the IP or depending on the game use Netbios names, they should resolve.
I am going to caveat this by saying that option 1 definately the prefered choice and is what I would do.

Yea I just tried that, but for some reason I also lose connection because it kept automaticly trying to obtain another IP address. This was with two computer connected to a switch. Both computer at the same time after about 5 min I think kept trying to obtain another IP address which result in lose connection. Don't know why it does this but I guess it's still better off to just staticly assign the IP address.

May be your system number the conflicting

My Computer----->Properties------>Computer name---->Change computer description.

Check it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom