networking ftp computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

overclocking

Beta member
Im looking for info on how i can network a home network so that i can set up a computer through a router and others from outside can connect to it to ftp files in and out. The trick is i want to have it so that i can see all the drives that are on the ftp server computer from my computer.kinda like having 4 extra hd drives on my comp like a D E F G. is this possible??

I have flash fxp but i want to have the computer hooked together all the time through a lan so that i can access the drives on the other computer as if they were on this one without ftp. does this make sense??

You'll need a router that lets you port-forward FTP requests to the FTP server. Most SOHO routers will do that. I don't know what FlashFXP is, but it looks like it's only an FTP client. You'll need an FTP server. There are plenty of those to be had. At any rate, once you have your FTP server set up and listening, configure your router to forward FTP requests and data (ports 21 and 20) to your FTP server.

As for seeing the drives from the machines inside your home LAN, if the FTP server is a Windows machine, why not just publish the drives on the network using windows file sharing? If it's a Linux machine, you can install and use Samba to do the same thing. Then you just use My Network Places to browse to the FTP machine from the other machines on your home LAN. (I'll assume you already have the home LAN set up.) If you want to make those network drives more "permanently" available, look into mapping the FTP server's drives as a network drive on your computer. You'ld definitely want to leave the FTP server on full time if you do that or the boot time for your own computer can become very long.

If your OS is WIN:

Make those accounts in the FTP Server:

UserC PasswdC - Assign to C drive
UserD PasswdD - Assign to D Drive
UserNextDiskLetter - etc...

If your OS is WIN:

Make those accounts in the FTP Server:

UserC PasswdC - Assign to C drive
UserD PasswdD - Assign to D Drive
UserNextDiskLetter - etc...

If your os is Linux the disks are like Folders and give \ to one of the user

Status