networking with dsl modem, router

Status
Not open for further replies.

goincrazy44

Solid State Member
I have two computers, one is XP Proessional, the other WIN 2000. I have them connected to the internet via Linksys router, and a DSL cable modem. I have the WIN 2000 connected to the router via cross over CAT 5 cable. The XP is connected to the router with a straight cable.

I am trying to link the two computers as I need to access the financial books program from the other computer. I use the XP, the other is WIN 2000. They use to be connected until we moved facililties.

I have tried everything to get them connected. Can someone please tell me what I need to do -- step-by-step -- because I seem to just not get it. I have been through every help section I can possibly be, and cannot seem to figure out how to do it. Help!

Answer some of these questions first

Can both computer access the Internet?
Can both computer ping each other?
What is the model of the Linksys router?

Unless your router's LAN port support auto mdi/mdi-x, you should use a straight through cable. If the Win2000 can access the Internet using a cross over cable then I guess the router does support auto mdi/mdi-x (which is a technology that allows you to use either cross over or straight through cable without bothering about which one to use).

Yes, both computers can access the internet. I don't know how to ping the other computer. When I do run, cmd, what do I tell it to ping? The name of the other computer? If so, not they do not ping each other. The router I have is WRT54G.

goincrazy44 said:
Yes, both computers can access the internet. I don't know how to ping the other computer. When I do run, cmd, what do I tell it to ping? The name of the other computer? If so, not they do not ping each other. The router I have is WRT54G.

Ping (Computers IP Or Hostname)

so Mine would be ping 192.168.1.102 (Another PC On my network)

If I wanted to ping my Router I would do
Ping 192.168.1.1

If you wanted to ping yourself (Loopback address)
ping 127.0.0.1

If you wanted to ping a website lets say google.
ping google.com

And to kinda reiterate what Law said, why did you choose to use a cross over cable for the W2000 Machine?
Crossover cables are used for connection router to router or PC to PC Directly.

As far as the crossover cable, that's what we used in the last facility originally when we were dialing up to the internet -- no specific reason. Why? Should I be using a straight cable?

goincrazy44 said:
As far as the crossover cable, that's what we used in the last facility originally when we were dialing up to the internet -- no specific reason. Why? Should I be using a straight cable?

No, that's fine. Your LAN port supports the auto-MDI/MDI-X feature so no problem as long as you have connectivity to the Internet and can ping the remote computer you are trying to contact.

You need to share files between the XP and 2000 right? Or do you need to run an application on the 2000 from the XP?

Is the folder for the application shared?

Or you can do this, right click on "My Computer" select Map Network Drive

In the Folder: type in the IP address of the remote computer, if you're on XP you just enter the IP address of the 2000 follow by the hidden C share. Like the below example:
\\192.168.1.100\c$

If you did it right, you'll be prompted for a user and password. Enter the administrator or an account that is part of the administrator group that you use to log in to the 2000 machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom