Networking is Driving Me Up the Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

suchan00b

Solid State Member
I recently purchased 2 laptops for my house (already having a desktop computer -- not efficient/sufficient). I used a Belkin Wireless G card, since both the laptops have built-in routers, in order for it to sign on to the internet. It DOESN'T. My laptop reads the connection, but as soon as you try to go to a website, the computer prompt tells you that there is "limited or no connectivity". I tried directly connecting my Toshiba cable modem to the laptop in order for it to sign online. It read the modem, but it STILL wouldn't sign on. I can't go to any website on either laptop, even though I already set up a shared Network Connection. It always says that it's "Disconnected", even when the network light is green.

I also tried to set it up so that my computers are on a LAN, so I could view files from my desktop on one of the laptops. That didn't work either, and I presume that it's because of firewall security, but honestly, I have no idea how to fix that, either.

If anyone could help, it would be much appreciated.
(Keep in mind: this is for two laptops).

Thanks,
--Too New for My Own Good :eek: :eek:

Let see if we can get one of your laptop to work while connected to the modem. You will need to use a straight-through cable (usually gray) or if you don't know if it's a straight through cable you can hold the end side by side and if the color coordination matches than it's a straight-through. Now you should check the laptop network card. Go to Control Panel/Network Connection, click on the wired Ethernet card and select Properties, double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Make sure the settings are on “automatically obtain an IP address” and “automatically obtain an DNS address” Click Ok if you have to save. Now your laptop should be connected to the modem at this point. You will have to unplug the modem power and plug it back again. This should clear out the any old entry. Now see if you got an IP address by going to the Start Menu, click Run and type ipconfig /all then open up a web browser and see if you got Internet.

Now in order to share the Internet with three computers, you'll need a wireless router. You can get these at your local computer store or online. Making sure you buy one that is 802.11g specification so it's compatible with your wireless adapter that you have on the laptops. Connecting to the router should be pretty easy, everything is automatically setup like a plug and play device.

What is this thing you call "build-in router" on the laptop? I'm just wondering what you are talking about.

Law said:
Let see if we can get one of your laptop to work while connected to the modem. You will need to use a straight-through cable (usually gray) or if you don't know if it's a straight through cable you can hold the end side by side and if the color coordination matches than it's a straight-through. Now you should check the laptop network card. Go to Control Panel/Network Connection, click on the wired Ethernet card and select Properties, double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP). Make sure the settings are on “automatically obtain an IP address” and “automatically obtain an DNS address” Click Ok if you have to save. Now your laptop should be connected to the modem at this point. You will have to unplug the modem power and plug it back again. This should clear out the any old entry. Now see if you got an IP address by going to the Start Menu, click Run and type ipconfig /all then open up a web browser and see if you got Internet.

Now in order to share the Internet with three computers, you'll need a wireless router. You can get these at your local computer store or online. Making sure you buy one that is 802.11g specification so it's compatible with your wireless adapter that you have on the laptops. Connecting to the router should be pretty easy, everything is automatically setup like a plug and play device.

What is this thing you call "build-in router" on the laptop? I'm just wondering what you are talking about.

My mistake. It was the built-in Wi-Fi thing. My sister was the one who gave me all of the info and she called it a "built-in router", so I just quoted her.

Umm, would an 802.11b router work with my 802.11 g hardware? (I'm going to order one soon, so I just need to know what is/isn't compatible.

Oh, and where can I purchase a straight-through cable? (Is a USB/ethernet cable sufficient, or must I get something else). I'm really computer-hardware illiterate, so any info can help.

Really helpful, by the way!

802.11b will work with 802.11g and vice versa. If you get an 802.11b router than your speed will only go at 11Mbps max, while 802.11g router and card will reach 54Mbps. Therefore if you have an 802.11g card you should get an 802.11g router just for the speed advantage.

You are better off getting a wireless 802.11g router with build-in LAN ports and buy a straight-through cable for every computer you want to wire to the router. You will have wireless connection for the laptops and wired connection for your desktop.

Here's an example of a basic wireless router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

It has wireless feature and 4 LAN port for up to 4 wired computer (or you can add more port if you buy a switch and connect to the router).

Ethernet is much better than USB over all; you should consider Ethernet over USB since must routers donÂ’t have any USB port. You can get a straight-through Ethernet cable from your local computer store or online at the site I listed above.

Law said:
802.11b will work with 802.11g and vice versa. If you get an 802.11b router than your speed will only go at 11Mbps max, while 802.11g router and card will reach 54Mbps. Therefore if you have an 802.11g card you should get an 802.11g router just for the speed advantage.

You are better off getting a wireless 802.11g router with build-in LAN ports and buy a straight-through cable for every computer you want to wire to the router. You will have wireless connection for the laptops and wired connection for your desktop.

Here's an example of a basic wireless router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124010

It has wireless feature and 4 LAN port for up to 4 wired computer (or you can add more port if you buy a switch and connect to the router).

Ethernet is much better than USB over all; you should consider Ethernet over USB since must routers donÂ’t have any USB port. You can get a straight-through Ethernet cable from your local computer store or online at the site I listed above.

Oh, yeah. Actually, I already have 3 straight-through cables, I just didn't know that's what it was called. Also, must I repeat the laptop procedure on both laptops, or only* on one? I'm assuming it's on both.

If I buy: " LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router", will I need anything else. (Keep in mind: I already have the straight-through cables).

Thanks!

(Excuse any typos. I'm writing this from work! :rolleyes:)

Repeat the process on the second laptop to the modem? Well only if you need to access the Internet with the other computer, since you don't have a router right now to share Internet with all three of your computer it's the only way.

It seems from what you are telling me you should be all set with a router. Since you are going to connect the desktop to the router by wire and you will use the two laptop to connect to the router by wireless, or you can connect the laptop by wires also. You will probably need one more straight-through cable to connect the router to the modem, sometime the router will come with one sometime not.

Umm,

First off, when i go to my laptop in Control Panel - Network Connections, I don't see any wired ethernet card, thus I can still not sign online.

Second: my computer [desktop] WON'T connect to the network... not even with these instructions. It seems that my desktop no longer reads the ethernet. (Toshiba Modem PCX2600 -- I'm on USB right now).

*I bought my router already. I followed all the steps... it says that it's connected, but it really isn't.

Your laptop probably doesn't have a wired Ethernet, but that's fine if you have a wireless card you'll need to configured the router to enable the wireless portion.

You'll need to have a computer with a wired Ethernet card because out of the box the router wireless feature is disable for security reasons. Therefore from what you are telling me, the desktop is the only computer out of the 3 that has a wired Ethernet card but it doesn't work? I would check device manager (right click on My Computer select Properties, then Hardware tab) to see if there are any error with the Ethernet card. Most of the time the problem can be fix by uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it and if it's a PCI card (connected to the PCI slot) than move it to another slot if you have room.

Then from the manual that came with the router, you'll need to plug the WAN port to the Modem with the straight through cable. Now connect the desktop PC to one of the LAN port (usually indicated by a number or follow by an x like 1x and etc) then go to Control Panel/Network Connection, right click on the network card, select Properties, double click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and make sure it's set to automatically obtain and IP and DNS. Click OK if you have to save. Then after the DHCP request and acknowledge has finish right click on the Network card and select Status then the detail tab and you should see the IP information from the router. Now take note of the Default Gateway, and use that IP into a web browser (IE recommended) to get into the router configuration and set your setting there following the manual. Remember when you add a new device to the modem you will also need to power it down and backup to clear the old entry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom